Paxton O. Stokes -- Stokes Motors Company
Charlton County Herald
by R. Ward Harrison, Editor
Written February 17, 1950
A native of Charlton County, Paxton O. ("Pack") Stokes was born May 7, 1906 on the old Stokes family homestead about five miles northeast of Folkston. Soon after his birth his family moved in to Folkston and he has spent practically his entire lifetime as a resident of this city.
A son of the late Honorable Jathan J. Stokes and Mrs. Maria Wainwright Stokes, Mr. Stokes is descended from two of the most prominent widely-connected pioneer families in this section of the state. The Stokes family migrated to this section from South Carolina in early 1839, the original homestead of his grandfather being in the Winokur district. Mr. Stokes’ father, the late Honorable Jathan J. Stokes, who died in 1925, served the county as Tax Receiver, Tax Collector and for several years as Judge of the Court of Ordinary. He also served one term as representative in the General Assembly of Georgia and was one of the most highly-respected citizens of this county. He was a very capable and conscientious public official, being a man of the highest honor and integrity. He was serving as Ordinary at the time of his death.
Moving to Folkston in early childhood Mr. Stokes grew up in this city attending the local public schools. Being mechanically inclined he took up the garage and auto repair business early in adult life, being employed as a mechanic by various local garages. He has been associated with garage business in this city practically all his adult life. After acquiring considerable experience he established a service station and auto repair business of his own about fifteen years ago, beginning business in the building now occupied by the City Service Station. There he gradually built up a prosperous and successful enterprise, expanding his operation to include a general automotive establishment.
In 1941 he entered the auto sales field, becoming the local dealer for the Chrysler-Plymouth auto. The business, under the name of Okefenokee Station continued to grow and prosper and in 1943 it was found necessary to move into larger quarters. It was then that Mr. Stokes acquired his present building at the intersection of Highways l, 23 and Main Street. Extensive alterations and additions have been made to the structure which is now one of the largest, best arranged establishments in this area.
Operating under the name "Stokes Motors," a completely equipped auto sales agency and repair shop is one of the busiest places in the city with an efficient staff and crew of mechanics to keep activities moving forward. It can be accurately listed as among the successful progressive enterprises of the city and county.
In addition to his automotive business Mr. Stokes owns a considerable acreage of land several miles northeast of the city where he is developing a modern farming operation based on products adapted to this area. He is giving this enterprise the same energetic, capable attention that has made his business here successful.
A loyal citizen and a willing worker and active booster of Folkston and the county, he was the first president of the Folkston Lions Club. Under his leadership this organization was launched upon a program of effective community service it has since carried forward. He is an active member of Folkston Methodist Church, serving on the Board of Stewards and also as member of the church building committee.
On March 13, 1932 Mr. Stokes was married to Miss Hattie Mae Thomas, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Thomas of Brantley County. They have four children, one son, Albert, and three daughters, Kay Rosemary, Nancy Ann and Bonnie Maria.