WALTER REYNOLDS MCCOY -- MCCOY-JACKSON HOSPITAL
CHARLTON COUNTY HERALD
R. Ward Harrison, Editor
March 3, 1950
An active, practicing physician in Folkston and southeast Georgia for almost the past quarter of a century, Dr. Walter R. McCoy was born at Milltown, Chambers County, Alabama in the late 1880s. Reared on a farm in that community he obtained his education in the public schools, graduating from the Milltown High School.
Early in life Dr. McCoy chose the medical profession as his life’s work and set about preparing himself to be a doctor. After completing high school he took a one-year pre-medical course preparatory to entering medical college. He then entered Emory University Medical College from which highly-rated institution he graduated with honors in 1910.
In completing his medical training he served a four-months internship at Grady Hospital, Atlanta, then one of the south’s busiest hospitals. Thereafter he took up the active practice of medicine, first locating in the little northeast Georgia town of Danielsville, Madison County, where he practiced for several years.
Upon the outbreak of World War One in 1917, Dr McCoy was commissioned as a first lieutenant in the Army Medical Corps. After serving for several months in the Camp Gordon Hospital, Atlanta, he was ordered overseas, having been assigned to the U.S. Base Hospital No. 52 at Rimacourt, France. In 1918 he was advanced to the rank of Captain. His unit was often under fire while carrying on their mission of mercy.
Returning to the states at the close of the war he served the remainder of his three years with the armed forces at Fort Benning, Ga. where he was returned to civilian life with the rank of Captain in the Organized Reserves in 1920. Following his separation from the Army, Dr. McCoy took five months post-graduate work at Emory University Medical College after which he served two years internship with Georgia Baptist Hospital, Atlanta. Thereafter he was engaged in private practice in Atlanta for three years.
Coming to South Georgia in 1926 to make his home Dr. McCoy has since that time been engaged in the general practice of medicine in Folkston for the greater part of the time. Just prior to the opening of World War II, he became associated with Dr. J. L. Sawyer in the operation of the McCoy-Sawyer Clinic at the small hospital plant where the McCoy-Jackson Hospital now carries on what is perhaps the most extensive medical practice in this area.
Dr. Sawyer entered the Army Medical Service during the late war with Dr. McCoy carrying on alone during the war years. At the end of the war Dr. Sawyer did not return to Folkston, locating at Bartow, Fla. Thereafter, Dr. J.L. Jackson, a veteran of the Naval Medical Service became associated with Dr. McCoy in the operation of the hospital and in the general medical practice. In addition to their hospital work, they maintain a downtown office where they do an extensive office practice providing the people of this community a medical service unexcelled in the rural areas of the state.
Dr. McCoy is a devoted member and one of the most liberal supporters of Folkston Baptist Church. Mrs. McCoy is also an active church member and a very valuable aid to her husband in his medical practice.
Although the demands upon his time have been exceedingly heavy during all the years he has practiced here, Dr. McCoy has always taken time out to help in community welfare projects. He has served as president of the Folkston Lions Club and with other civic organizations in the programs for community-upbuilding.
The public appreciation of Dr. McCoy as a citizen was indicated by his election as State Senator for the Fourth District during the last election.
In 1922 Dr. McCoy was married to Miss Mae Moore, a daughter of the late Dr. Dan Moore, of Nahunta. They have two daughters, Miss Ann and Miss Betty Jo, and three sons, John D. and Robert of Folkston ad Bill of the U.S. Army in Japan, who is expected home for a visit soon.