Charlton County Herald

March 21, 1973



Catherine Cope

As the days grew warmer Amelia Landing became the meeting place for those who knew how to swim or were just learning to share that sport with their older brothers and sisters. Amelia Landing was “the beach” of New Boulogne and was located somewhere between the riverside property now owned by the Frank Walkers and the old sawmill which long ago served so many residents of this area.

As the swimmers grew up and became more proficient as swimmers and divers, it was time to take off from Kolar’s Ferry when it wasn’t in use. In the first picture you see Violet Rose holding her dog, Helen Kolar with the emblem on her swimsuit and her younger sister Stella Kolar. In the second picture we are told that Eugene Kolar is ready to make his dive before his admiring audience of pretty girls in their fashionable beach attire. Again, the same girls sitting in the same order as they were standing. For you who have not seen the light of day in 1919 this was the way people dressed, in swimming dresses and bloomers and covered both their bodies and their hair when they were in the water.


Charlton County Herald

April 25, 1973



Catherine Cope

Here is an interesting school picture, this time taken in the second Boulogne school in about the year 1913 or 1914. Mrs. Edith Trigg Slatterley loaned us the picture and listed the names of the pupils to the best of her memory. I think she has done a remarkable job of name recalling for there are few of us who look today near enough to be recognized some sixty years later. Mrs. Slatterley tells us the teacher was Nannie Pitts and the pupils were Ivie Johnson, Jonnie Belle, Vinnie Bowen, Jerome Bowen, Villia Sikes, Belle Bowen, Edith Trigg, Helen Kolar, Harry Johnson, Joe Johnson, Stella Kolar, Mildred Bowen, Elizabeth Johnson, Everett Trigg, Alcon Trigg, Stove Johnson, George Johnson and Clem Bowen.

Charlton County Herald

May 16, 1973


[Sketch of the river and landing accompanied this article.]

Helen Kolar Roberts visited on Calico Hill in March and brought several pictures of herself and her sister and some of the Triggs who were very close friends. These pictures I have already shown you and told you about. She also brought this pen and ink drawing showing the ferry, the hillside and points of interest. Those who have already seen the drawing say it is very well done and it is just the way they remember it too. The gate and the road shown in the upper left of the drawing are the same winding roads I took pictures of a few weeks ago. They were ablaze with azalea hedges and pretty spring-green leaves on the trees from the top of Calico Hill near our house.

The Kolar family moved to New Boulogne about 1910 and. bought the land on the hill and was the first ferry which was originated by William Tracy about 1907. This first ferry was stolen about 1913 and Helen went with her father by rowboat down river looking for the ferry. She remembers how cold she became and that Mr. Kolar pulled into shore several times that night and built a fire so she could get warmed up. The ferry was found sunk near Kings Ferry, Fla.

Mr. Kolar bought the second ferry, which is the one pictured and built the cabin, see drawing at lower left near the boat dock. He slept there and for a time used it as a guardhouse to protect the new ferry. Notice the gun hole near the front window. He threatened to shoot anyone trying to steal the second ferry. At a later date this cabin was rented to Hilliard residents who came up to vacation on the river. The ferry was hand-pulled across the river. (The ferry could hold two cars.) Sometimes when Mr. Kolar was busy with his tailoring shop in Folkston, Mrs. Kolar pulled the cars across the river. After business became good Mr. Kolar hired a man to do the job.

Mr. Kolar improved his property by building the boat docks on one side of the ferry landing where they had the rowboats, which they rented. On the other side was the diving board and swimming platform with small dressing rooms for the ladies and men. A tree grew out through the roof and added charm to Lookout Tower, which was a romantic spot on a moonlight night. Later he built a concession stand for the convenience of the camping and picnic customers and had larger bath and dressing rooms on either side.

The Kolar home was a pretty house higher up on the hill. Mr. Kolar built the lattice grillwork around the porch and lovely blooming flowers were planted there. He also built the steep steps, which led down the hill to the lower property. The flowerbed shown at the left of the steps was actually an old boat planter filled with blooming plants.

The “Moonlight Club” from Hilliard came up frequently and Helen Kolar mentioned the name of Henry Smith and his parents who had recently come down from the north. After the wooden toll bridge was built in 1916-1917 Mr. Kolar rebuilt and enlarged his store locating it at the top of the hill nearer the bridge. The former commissary was used only for a bathhouse for the tourists and campers. The new building contained a room known as the dance hall. Helen played the piano, Ray Kolar the violin. Louise Cutler played the piano sometimes and Grant Abbott the cornet. The four last named also played on Saturday nights at Pearce’s Drug Store in Folkston.

Helen wrote me a few more details after the first visit. She said the crowd would drift from The Hall down to the Kolar place and vice versa. Helen taught swimming and dancing and played the piano from the time she was twelve years old, and was considered the chief entertainer. Her music was always the latest out because all the tourists coming through would remember her and keep her supplied with new music, which by the way, only cost ten cents a copy then.

Stella Kolar was also very artistic and has done enough pictures over the years to have her own art showing. In the same letter Helen told about the pretty organdy dresses her mother made for them to wear to the dances. Pin-tucks, double ruffles and organdy hats with made organdy flowers. If the other girls did not make their own dresses they ordered them from mail order houses, but everyone came to the dances well dressed. I’m sure they had a good time, don’t you?

There are other stories but this is enough for today.

Transcribed by

Lois Barefoot Mays

March 17, 2006

Charlton  County Archives