Digest of Charlton County Herald - August 1932
Compiled by Lois Barefoot Mays
August 5, 1932
COUNTY COURT STRAW BALLOT. So far only 60 ballots concerning the County Court of Charlton County have been sent in but they all vote against the court. What we want to know is how you stand on the question.
MRS. ANNA GIBSON TURNER. The Times Union of last Sunday gave a good picture of recent brides of that city, among them being Mrs. Monroe Turner, nee Anna Gibson of this city. The picture was a fine one and many friends have a copy filed away among their remembrances.
FOLKSTON'S FIRST MERCHANT. The first merchant of Folkston was Denar Cavada so we learn, and his place of business was just in the rear of the Passieu Garage. The next oldest was L.M. Bedell who held forth in a store next door to where the Herald office now stands.
MR. LUCIUS M. BEDELL DIED. Lucius M. Bedell, the next to the first man that ever did a merchandise business in Folkston, passed to his eternal rest Saturday evening at his home in this city after an illness of only a few weeks. The funeral cortege to St. Marys Monday morning was a large one with many friends and the family where the funeral services were held by the grave and the body laid to rest in the St. Marys cemetery. Services were conducted by Dr. Charles Lee, rector of the Episcopal Church. Mr. Bedell was born in Thomasville on May 24, 1851 and moved to St. Marys in 1865 where he became a member of the household of his uncle Arch King. Later he moved to Waresboro and removing from there to May Bluff in 1874. In 1882, just about the time the old Brunswick and Western Railroad was built through Folkston, he moved here and entered business in a building that stood next to where the Herald office now stands, being the second man to enter business in this town. Part of his boyhood had been spent in Centre Village. In 1890 he moved to Burnt Fort and entered business there, where he continued until 1913 when he settled at Marianna. Having retired from business and with the family grown and entered into their own sphere of usefulness, Mr. Bedell again moved to Folkston in 1924 where he has dwelled ever since. He married in 1884 Miss Jane Virginia Lang of Camden County and brought his bride to Folkston where his business had begun to assume an importance. He reared a large family. Those surviving him are six daughters and one son as follows: Mesdames D.M. Proctor, W.D. Braswell, J.C. Perry, J.C. Proctor all of Woodbine; Misses Marward and Janie Bedell of Folkston; Ben D. Bedell of Ridgeland, S.C. A large number of grandchildren also survive him. Only a few weeks ago the editor, on an afternoon stroll, visited the Bedell home and spent a pleasant hour or so with this pioneer citizen whom we found, after he got started on his early days of this section, an interesting relator of the earlier days. He spoke of the trails and river boats, the business done with the earlier characters of this section, the rafts floating down our streams, the traders that came by and purchased goods after delivery oftheir logs. He was steady and frugal in his habits, saved his means and accumulated a fortune. He was interested in the welfare of his community and invested his money in bonds in Camden and Charlton where he lived when they were offered for sale. He was indeed one of those noble men of the old school that was honored by the large number of friends that he made during those earlier pioneer days.
August 12, 1932
4-H CLUB CAMP HERE. The annual camp of the Charlton County 4-H Club and several nearby counties opened at Homeland Park on Monday. Preparations were made for 200.
FIRE DEPARTMENT ORGANIZED. The recent fire and the lack of an organized Fire Department caused those interested to hold a meeting and organize a regular company of fire laddies. Chief Barnes was made chief and his firemen are being enlisted rapidly from those who enjoy fighting fires. A siren has been purchased, been received and has been placed on a pole opposite Passieu Motor Co. Membership: C.J. Passieu, Assistant Chief; O.C. Mizell, Captain; O.E. Raynor, Paxton Stokes, Sidney Robinson, Carl Scott, Jim Sikes, Richard Stroup, Elbert Altman, Fitz Hugh Murray and several others have promised to join.
NEW BABY. Mr. and Mrs. L.D. Kinard announce the birth of a fine baby girl born to them on August 9th.
RED CROSS FLOUR. The last sack of Red Cross flour was given away last Saturday. Some relief has been expressed by the warehousemen as well as the ladies who had the tickets given in hand.
COUNTY COURT STRAW BALLOT. The voting on the matter of getting rid of the Court of Charlton County in the straw ballot offered by the Herald has been somewhat brisk the last day or so, yet it has only run to 105 votes against, with none for it. The balloting will run until September l.
MORE SCHOOLS CONSOLIDATE. At the School Board meeting this week a petition from patrons of the old Roddenberry School asking for consolidation with Folkston was presented and was granted for one year's trial. The Winokur district will remain as now constituted.
August 19, 1932
4-H CLUB CAMP. Opening of the camping period of 4-H Club boys and girls in Homeland Park began at Camp Hursey on Monday. C.W. Waughtel, Editor Wrench, Mr. Mizell and others gave talks. The boys and girls have been enjoying the out of door life. The main log house was used by the boys to roll up in their blankets and sleep in. The girls were more private, a camp quarters being built and screened in, away from the other building. Registration showed only 62 from the five counties, of the 200 expected. Those registered from Charlton County were Powell Leckie, Ernie Lee Johns, Juanell Conner, Orie Roddenberry, Wordie Leckie, Paul White, David Littlefield, Howard Wrench, Charlie White, Proctor Prescott, Cecil Conner, McAdoo Littlefield, Lester Prescott, J.P. Conner, Sidney Nipper, Wilson Colson, Sallie Prescott, Frank Prescott, Rae Catoe, Vinnie Mattox, Ruby Thrift, Julia Catoe, Alma McDuffie, Ernestine Prescott, Alfred Thrift, Lonnie Thrift, Paul Thrift, Virgil Colson, Kemp Littlefield, Harold White, John White and Jackie Bennett. Other campers were from Ware, Wayne, Glynn and Brantley Counties, plus many instructors.
FOLKSTON FIRE LADDIES. Officers were selected at the meeting Monday night from among those joining the fire fighters and a truck will be arranged for as the reel carrier. The officers are J.H. Barnes, Chief; C.J. Passieu, Assistant Chief; J.O. Sikes, Captain; P.O. Stokes, Lieutenant; Sid Robinson, hose company; Lee Huggins, hose company; O.L. Nobles, hose company; E.C. Altman, FitzHugh Murray and Carl Scott, hook and ladder company; Homer Allen, O.E. Raynor and G.R. Gowen, chemical company; Richard Stroup, hydrant man. The siren will be blown every Saturday at noon as a test and to see that it is kept in good shape.
MONIAC CONSOLIDATED SCHOOL. Friday the trustees of the Moniac Consolidated District let a contract for erection of a new building for which bonds were voted two years ago but not sold until the meeting just held. The bonds were sold for a discount of 28% from par, drawing a 5% interest. The Citizens Bank was a fortunate bidder for the bonds. Contract was let to the low bidder, Contractor P.C. Hall, at $5,975.00 with a scale for additional work that will run it up some higher before the work is completed. The plan of the building is on the line of the Folkston Consolidated School building with four school rooms and an auditorium in the center. It will take 60 days to complete building.
SCHOOL BUS DRIVERS. School officials were engaged Monday afternoon in selecting bus drivers. The cost of operating all buses in the county last year was $9,305.93. Following the plan of reducing all costs by 25%, the following were hired: Coleraine, Oliver Johns; Winokur, A.D. Crews; Johnson-Homeland, S.M. Altman; Prescott, Winnie Prescott; Traders Hill No. l, M.J. Chancey; Traders Hill No. 2, Ben Brock; Cornhouse Creek, Herman Barber; Roddenberry, J.H. Warren; Uptonville, Powell Leckie; Racepond, Ivey Carter.
WEDDING. The marriage of Willie Chesser and Miss Ethel Roddenberry took place Friday night at the residence of Judge Gibson in the presence of a few of the couple's friends. The bride is the daughter of Gad Roddenberry and the groom a son of Kemp Chesser of Traders Hill. The happy couple will be at home shortly in a cottage being built by the groom on a part of his father's estate near the old home place.
FEW BRANTLEY COUNTY VOTERS. W.R. Strickland, tax collector for Brantley County, finds that two-thirds of the voters of Brantley County will have to be stricken from the list for failure to pay taxes. The resulting short list of voters complicates the political situation in Brantley County.
CARL LEARNING FLOWER BUSINESS. Carl Scott, Jr. is spending this week in Waycross. He is with Mr. Sapp the florist, learning how to plant and grow flowers.
NEW BABY. Mr. and Mrs. Hughes announce the birth of a fine baby boy. Mrs. Hughes will be remembered as Miss Gilly Richardson who taught here about four years ago.
SATURDAY NIGHT DANCE. A pleasant dance was held at Dan Dinkins' home on Saturday night and the report is that H.S. Mattox was the one that held out until the last dance. These merry old fellows can't forget the old times in Charlton.
August 26, 1932
BARBER LEIGHTON WEAVING BASKETS. Another new industry that attracted our attention this week was the weaving of ratan flower vases and flower baskets by a Folkston man. Mr. O.W. Leighton was the busy one and the work he has been turning out in his spare moments shows a decided art in the making of them.
MT. ZION CHURCH REVIVAL. Rev. M.G. Davis, pastor of the Mt. Zion Church, began a series of meetings at this church that will continue during the week. The membership include several families that have been with that church for a long number of years and have moved away, yet still worship with them on occasion. All are invited to attend these meetings.
C.W. WAUGHTEL WRITES. It is with pleasure that the writer yields to Mr. Hursey's request for a history of this park area from the earliest date of which we have any definite knowledge until the present time. You will all admit that it is a very liberal gift and that the 4-H Club members should know from whom and how this gift was made. It should be interesting to know that once upon a time, a hundred years ago, this piece of land upon which these buildings are now erected, was in cultivation and grew cotton and corn in abundance. A man of strong convictions lived here. He was a strong Union sympathizer, a Whig in politics. His coming and going is a cloud to us. We know he had a legal right to the lands. We know he had a home here. One night he disappeared and was never heard of again. The buildings fell down, the land grew up into pines and oaks as you see them today. These facts were related to the writer many years ago by the Hon. J.W. Vickery, who by the way, still lives among us. He is close to the century mark in age. The legal records of the early possessor of this tract of land were destroyed many years ago when the courthouse burned in the year 1877. Traders Hill was then the county site but we traced the deeds back to Clay through a subsequent deed given by McCall and Acosta who owned the land in the fifties, and Fort in the sixties, and Stewart in the nineties, and then to J. and William Mizell, Sr., thence to Wainwright and then in 1906 to Moore and C.W. Waughtel, the original donors to the Town of Homeland. Then the town council and citizens of Homeland, in the words of our efficient county historian, Col. McQueen, so graciously and magnanimously donated its beautiful park and area to Charlton County for the use of 4-H Club boys and girls for the study of forestry, recreation and other activities. It should be mentioned here that the writer--one of the original donors to the Town of Homeland--was Mayor of Homeland when the gift was made to the 4-H Club. I would be derelict if I failed to mention the active part played by Col. McQueen, Editor Wrench and County Agent Hursey in securing the legal transfer of this valuable property, for we must remember that the little town of Homeland was proud of its park and regarded it as a valuable asset. Public opinion had to be changed, arguments advanced to show that Homeland would be the gainer and not the loser by the transfer; that the buildings erected would prove more than squirrel roosts. After several discussions in which the public was invited, the transfer was legally made. The folks as a whole are satisfied and gratified with the results thus far obtained. County Agent Hursey has worked very hard to carry out his part of the contract for the deed carries with it certain reservations as did the original deed from the donors. If this contract is not carried out, the land in contest may revert to the original owner. It would be well for every member of the 4-H Club to read the deed. It is the earnest desire and hope that the town officers and people of Homeland, as well as the original donors, that the recipients be appreciative and that they strive faithfully to carry out the intent and purpose of the donors and that as a result of this gift much good many come to the present and more to the future generations of this section of our great state through the activities of the 4-H Club and its allied interests.
LABOR DAY FISH FRY. A barbecue and fish fry with Dr. Charles Herty, research chemist of the Department of Forestry, as the principal speaker, will be held at Hamp Mizell Lake on the edge of the Okefenokee Swamp on Labor Day, September 5th.
NEW BARBER. The new barber, John M. Michael who opened up the place next door to the Shell Garage has begun doing a good business. This is the only barber shop in the west side of Folkston.
THREE NEW BABIES. Three births have been reported to the Herald from St. George this week: ...A fine boy at Arthur Barker's. ...Another fine lad at the E. Bell home. ...Section foreman Raulerson was presented with a fine baby with the sex not reported.