Digest of Charlton County Herald - August 1931
Compiled by Lois Barefoot Mays
August 7, 1931
NEW CARS DAMAGED. A freight car containing four new Chevrolet cars standing on the railroad siding near Folkston depot was butted into by a string of other cars that were being switched with such force as to damage all of them, one of them having radiator, bumper and fenders injured. The cars were consigned to the Pickren Chevrolet Co.
TEACHERS RETURN TO FOLKSTON. Most of the teachers who have been spending the week since the closing of school visiting friends, have returned. Miss Chute, Miss Turner and Miss Gary are with Mr. and Mrs. Stokes. Miss Kemp, Overstreet and Dickson with Mr. and Mrs. James Wrench. Miss Stapleton is with her brother, E.B. Stapleton. Miss Pearson is with Miss Askew, Miss Knabb with Mr. and Mrs. Stroup, Miss Keene, Miss Crews and Mrs. Knabb drive in from their homes every day.
WEDDING. Mrs. J.J. Stokes of Folkston announces the marriage of her daughter Clinnie Maria to Mr. Roy Wilson Baggett of Lewiston, N.C. on May 15, 1931.
August 14, 1931
WEDDINGS. During the month of July H.G. Gibson issued licenses to marry to: Eddie Grams and Ivy Jane Lee of Winokur; also Richard Haywood of Savannah and Gussie Gardner of Folkston; and R.W. Hoyt of Jacksonville and Miss Pearl Strickland, formerly of Folkston.
NEW OWNERS FOR SERVICE STATION. Scott Johnson has become a partner with Clyde Gowen in the ownership of the City Service Station. Both these young men are well known throughout this section as able and careful business men.
MRS. HANNAH JANE GOODEN DIED. Hannah Jane Gooden, widow of the late Henry W. Gooden, died August 6 at the home of her daughter, Mrs. J.C. Boughner. She was born in Noble County, Indiana on May 2, 1856 and came to live in St. George 21 years ago. The funeral was conducted by Rev. J.R. Walker of the St. George Baptist Church from the family residence. Burial was in the St. George cemetery. She is survived by one son, E.D. Gooden and one daughter, Mrs. J.C. Boughner.
BOARDING ROOMS AVAILABLE. An unusually fine opportunity is now open to the parents of girls who wish to board here and attend school. If a number large enough to justify the arrangements can be secured, good rooms with strict supervision by a lady with the most upright standing can be had. No person would hesitate to place a daughter under the care of the lady in question. Those interested should take the matter up with Supt. Harris at once.
WEDDING. J. Aubrey Johnson, formerly of Folkston and Miss Mittie Banks were married at the home of her parents in Bryan County. They will live in Savannah.
COLERAINE ESTATE DESCRIBED BY VISITING WRITER, H.A. STALLINGS.From 1796 to 1931 is a long, long span of 135 years, yet that is the time it has taken Coleraine in Charlton County to emerge from an Indian village to a site for a modern hunting lodge.
On June 29, 1796 a treaty of peace and friendship was signed at Coleraine between the President of the United States and the chiefs and warriors of the Creek tribe of indians. August 1, 1931 will see completed a commodious, handsome, private hunting lodge for D.L. Hebard of Philadelphia, a man who is genuinely interested in this section of Georgia.
The indians, always a fine judge of sites, made no mistake in Coleraine. It is situated on a bend in the lovely St. Marys River and commands a long view of the river in two directions, a fact then valuable for protection from enemies and now valuable for one of the loveliest scenes to be found in south Georgia.
The Hebard holdings at this point include about four miles of river front and the lodge is almost at the center of this frontage.
Mr. Hebard who has large holdings in the famous Okefenokee Swamp and who for many years has maintained a lodge in the Swamp itself is no stranger to fishing and hunting in this part of Georgia. The building of the lodge at Coleraine is not the expression of a hope but the satisfied expression of season after season of outdoor sportsmanship in the coastal regions of this state.
Just as the history of Coleraine goes back--even so do the materials for the Hebard Lodge. The lumber used is cypress from the trees in the Okefenokee that date back hundreds and hundreds of years. This timber was sawed and cured by the Hebard Cypress Co. at Hebardville near Waycross. The bricks date back more than fifty years, having been taken from the first brick house built in Waycross. They are hand-made brick and were made at a kiln now inside the city limits of Waycross. The sleepers on which rest the floor of the lodge are 4x10 inches, cut sixteen years ago. The ceiling rests on visible, old fashioned large beams cut with an adze by a ship carpenter. The flooring is 12 inch boards with wooden pegs as was done many years ago. The walls are of wide and narrow cypress boards placed at random and carry a heavy V bead one-fourth inch deep and three-fourths inch wide. This random selection of boards and the exceptionally attractive effect of the beading give to the walls a quiet unassuming beauty that is found rarely indeed.
The shingles are hand-drawn made entirely by hand from Okefenokee cypress. The six two-story columns in front are ten inches, giving an effect of massiveness and stateliness not otherwise to be secured. This same atmosphere of massiveness is carried out in the fireplaces which are five feet and more in width and chimneys are placed on the outside where their great width and being made of old handmade brick leave with one the idea of massiveness ere the lodge has been entered. One is delighted with the pains and care taken by Mr. Hebard to preserve undiminished the atmosphere of historical old age that characterize Coleraine, its beautiful oaks, older than the memory of man with their hanging moss are all left standing; the view of the beautiful old St. Marys River is not disturbed. The materials in the lodge are hundreds of years old and their native and natural beauty is not being destroyed by paint. Instead, an oil is being used that protects the timber from the weather brings out even more clearly and distinctly the beauty that it took nature so many years to implant in the cypress of the Okefenokee. So well has the beauty and age of Coleraine been preserved that one comes upon the lodge built in 1931 with the feeling that it too has been there for years and years, watching the oaks grow, watching the St. Marys flow lazily by and watching the Indians sign treaties and pass on.
The Hebard lodge is one that stresses the comfort and pleasure of living. In front are the large old, moss covered oaks, a scene of beauty with a large roomy veranda where one may sit and enjoy the beauty. In the rear is a gently descending slope to the graceful bend in the beautiful St. Marys River with a large open terrace where one may sit and enjoy the beauty. From every room in the lodge the windows open onto views of rare nature. A multitude of closets make the lodge one that minimizes indoor inconveniences.
One is given a first impression by the inside of the lodge of space. There is a large entrance hallway opening upon the front veranda and the back terrace. On the right is the gun room with gun rack, book cases and places for mounted game. To the rear of the gun room is the living room 19x26 feet following the gentle slope of the hill opening upon two terraces and giving a full view of the river. On the same side is a guest apartment with lounge room, bedroom, bath and showers. On the left of the entrance hallway is the dining room with a special floor that can be cleared for dancing. The kitchen, the maid's dining room, the butler's pantry, the refrigerator pantry, the laundry and a game icebox, so large one can enter it standing so as to hand the game more conveniently and the maid's entry, veranda and stairway.
On the second floor are guest rooms, apartment for the host and hostess that can be maintained wholly separate from the remainder of the lodge. Maid's quarters and upstairs veranda. Above is the floored attic with built-in covered places for trunks and storage.
The fireplaces and chimneys are of special interest. They are built of old handmade bricks. The fireplaces are especially wide and equipped with "super heaters" which have metal lining and air circulation registers. The lodge was constructed by Virgil C. Parker, of Waycross. It's interesting to note that when the large cypress plant of the Hebard Cypress Co. was built at Hebardville, including the mill, the business offices, homes for officials and workmen, much of the first construction in this section by the Hebards was done by Mr. Parker.
August 21, 1931
TEA PLANTS IN CHARLTON COUNTY. Some weeks ago the Herald noted the fact that an Englishman was in this country seeking some spot of upon which to locate a tea plantation. Since that time this writer has made a discovery. Many years ago, when Mrs. Lang of Miami was a very small child, she frequented the Joshua Mizell place, then a farm under cultivation about six miles east of Folkston. Mrs. Lang was visiting her daughter, Mrs. B.G. McDonald here and during her visit she and Mrs. McDonald drove down to the old place now neglected and overgrown. The house which formerly sheltered "Aunt Sally" whom Mrs. Lang, as a child visited, was burned a long time ago and little remained to indicate that it was once a farm. In the search for old landmarks, it was recalled there was once a tea plant growing near a magnolia tree and search was made for it. It was found, surrounded by trees and shrubs and still alive. It must be between 70 and 80 years of age. There's a story connected with its planting. Mrs. Lang's "Aunt Sally" was noted throughout the country as a lover of plants and flowers and was often the recipient of gifts of that character. One such gift was the tea plant brought from Japan on a ship which had made it way up the St. Marys river. The captain of the ship was the donor. The plant was merely a curiosity. No attempt was ever made to use the foliage as a drink. It has received no special attention, but it still lives.
County School Supt. John Harris furnishes the Herald with another instance of tea growing in this locality. He said commercial growing of tea was tried a few years ago in the Carolinas but was abandoned because of the high price of labor. Mr. Taber at Glen St. Marys years ago imported tea plants from Japan and propagated nursery stock. One of these plants was set out at Bolleno Lodge by Mr. and Mrs. John Harris in the Big Bend section more than twenty years ago. This shrub has grown to more than twenty feet high with a spread of thirty feet of branches under the usual care given trees in home grounds. It is annually covered with orange flowers exceedingly attractive to bees. The flowers have five petals, 3/4 inch wide, 1/2 inch long. These are followed by a seed pod of the close-fitting burr type. The leaves have been gathered, rolled to press out the oil and dried in the oven for the making of tea. Young leaves make a high grade quality while the older leaves are no improvement on the grade of tea handled by the local jobbers. OVEN INSTALLED AT HURSEY PARK. A large oven for use at the Hursey Camp cabin was brought from central Georgia a few days ago and placed in the cabin by county agent Hursey. It will be used for meals for 4-H club members encamped at the park. PAPER FROM PINE TREES IS POSSIBLE. Development of a mammoth white paper manufacturing industry in Georgia, which would bring millions of dollars to the state, hinges upon the action of the legislature in the matter of an annual appropriation of $20,000 for two years according to Dr. Charles Herty, industrial consultant of New York, whose investigation made him alert to the possibilities of using Georgia's vast pine forests in paper making.
NEW BABY. Born to Mr. and Mrs. Ratcliffe on July 29, a son; weight, eight and one-half pounds. He has been named George Holzendorff Ratcliffe. The Ratcliffes are quite an addition to St. George and we welcome the new member of the family. WEDDING. A wedding of interest to many here was that of Miss Jewell Howard of Racepond and Mr. E.O. Roberson of Jesup. The wedding was August 22 at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. S.M. Howard. Rev. Griffin, pastor of Folkston Methodist Church, officiated.
SCHOOL BUSES ORDERED. One of the most needed improvements in school equipment was the placing of the order for eight regular school bus bodies for the Folkston school and two for St. George school. These will ensure the comfort of children on rainy days and will be more comfortable than the curtained bodies without cushioned seats. Those who will drive the new school buses are: J.B. Carter, Racepond; A.D. Crews, Winokur; Sheppard Gowen, Traders Hill; George Mills, Kennison; C.J. Chancey, Uptonville; Ben Brock, Canal; Thomas Wrench, Johnson and Homeland.
SCHOOL TEACHERS LISTED. The complete list of teachers who will begin work in the Charlton County school system Monday is as follows: County High School: Mrs. J.D. Roddenberry, Velma Kemp, Myrtle Godley, Sara Wiley Dickson, Emily Gary. Folkston Consolidated School: Mayme Askew, Eunice Chute, Byrdie Pearson, Annette Turner, Mary Jane Littlefield, Thyra McDuffie, Chloris Stapleton, Marion Pearce, Jessie Overstreet, Mrs. J.H. Wrench and Mary Davis. St. George: Eleanor Cockrell, Ethel Brannon, Jewell Carson, Mildred Curry, Lillian Norman. Moniac: Mrs. Ralph Knabb, Gertye Knabb, Marie Boyd. Uptonville: Mrs. B.B. Gowen, Hazel Player. Winokur: Nettie Keene, Lelia Crews. Sardis: Irene Armstrong and Ena Gibson.
THIEVING TRAVELERS. Somebody, presumably a hobo, lifted two shirts and a suit of underclothes from a clothesline in Rev. G.H. Jacobs back yard Wednesday night. Mr. Jacobs said probably the fellow needed the clothing worse than he did, but he can't figure out how that could be possible.