Digest of Charlton County Herald - July 1942

Compiled by Lois Barefoot Mays

July 3, 1942

HERALD BEGINS 44TH YEAR. With this issue the Charlton County Herald completes another milestone in its career of service and begins its 44th year. Never perhaps in its long history has the Herald began a new fiscal year under more trying and difficult circumstances. The fortunes of war have for the time being at least, reduced our volume of business almost to the vanishing point and in common with other business concerns of the community, we are having a struggle to exist. But we have every confident that the future holds better times and we will somehow manage to survive and continue to serve in our particular field.

4-H CLUB TO COLLECT SCRAP RUBBER. In order to encourage 4-H Club members to lead the way during the period July 1-10, the WSB radio station offers the following cash awards: To the 4-H Club in Georgia that collects the largest amount of pounds of scrap rubber during the period, $25.00 cash; the second largest amount of scrap rubber, $15.00 and the third largest is $10.00. The County Agents are to furnish the state 4-H Club leaders the amount of scrap rubber collected during the above ten day period.

LARGE GROUP OF DRAFTEES TO LEAVE. The largest group of white selective service registrants ever to be sent from Charlton County in a single month is scheduled to leave this Friday morning. The July quota is more than double the number sent in any previous monthly contingent. An unusually large group of Negro selectees are scheduled to leave later in the month.

NEW BABY GIRL FOR BARFIELD FAMILY. Mr. and Mrs. Harold Barfield announce the birth of a fine baby girl on June 28 at McCoy-Sawyer Hospital. She has been given the name Patricia Ann. Both mother and baby are doing fine. Mrs. Barfield is the former Miss Bennie Altman.

RALPH WRENCH PROM0TED. Ralph Wrench has been promoted to the rank of Sergeant with the Engineer and Aviation Squad of the Army Air Corps.

“SHARE THE RIDE” CLUBS TO ORGANIZE. Acting on instructions from state headquarters, chairman William Mizell of Charlton County Civilian Defense organization has named a local committee to organize “Share the Ride” clubs and to promote the full use of privately owned passenger automobiles on trips to and from nearby cities and all other local automobile travel. The committee is composed of Judge J.H. Johnson, J.S. Haddock, W.D. Jones and Miss Gertrude Proctor. It will arrange for a full load of all cars making trips to nearby points whenever possible. Owners of passenger autos are requested to notify a committee when a trip is planned and when there is room in his car for additional passengers. Those desiring to make trips may contact any member of the committee to learn if accommodations are available on the date desired.

RIDER CHILD JOINS BROTHERS AND SISTERS. Clifford Rider, 11-year old son of Rufus Rider, joined his four sisters and one brother at the Methodist Home in Macon yesterday, the little lad having been taken there by Mrs. Grace B. Morris, county welfare director. The mother of the six children died several months ago and shortly thereafter five of them were placed in the care of the Methodist Home at Macon. One little boy remained with his father and grandfather and now that Rufus Rider has been called into the Army the remaining child has been reunited with his brother and sisters. Reports from Macon are that the children are getting along splendidly.

NEWTON RODDENBERRY IS RECOVERING. Newton Roddenberry, who was seriously injured while diving in the St. Marys River, has recovered sufficiently to be dismissed from the Waycross hospital.

FIFTH DRAFT REGISTRATION REPORTS ONLY 73 REGISTRANTS. The 5th registration for Selective Service including the 18, 19 and 20 year olds held in Charlton County Tuesday fell far below speculation, there being only 73 registrants reported for the entire county. The registration took place in the high school buildings of Folkston and St. George.

KING-HULING WEDDING. A marriage that will be of much interest in this county was that of Miss Rosa King to Mr. Wilson Huling which took place in the home of the bride near Cochran, Ga. on June 30th. The bride was a teacher in the Winokur school for the past several terms. Mr. Huling is one of Folkston’s highly regarded young men. He is employed at a CCC camp in Wakulla, Fla. where the young couple will make their home.

July 10, 1942

WALTER W. DAVIS DIED. Walter W. Davis, age 69, widely known and highly regarded Charlton County farmer, died Thursday at his home eight miles west of Folkston near the Okefenokee Swamp following a stroke of paralysis. He was stricken about 2:00 o’clock Thursday morning and gradually grew weaker until the end came shortly before noon. He suffered from high blood pressure and was stricken with a light stroke several months ago. A native and life long citizen of Charlton County, Mr. Davis was a member of one of the county’s most widely-connected early families. The announcement of his death came as a shock to his many friends. Besides his wife, survivors include three sons, Jack Davis, County Commissioner Ralph Davis and W.W. Davis, Jr. who was recently called for service in the Army; and two grandchildren, Ben and Nellie Lee, children of his deceased daughter who made their home with their grandparents. Funeral services will be this Friday afternoon at Sardis Cemetery.

HAROLD WHITE ENLISTED IN NAVAL RESERVES. Harold White, son of Mr. and Mrs. M.G. White, this week enlisted in the U.S. Naval Reserves. He was sent to Macon for assignment to a regular training station. He enlisted for training as a naval aviation mechanic.J.W. VICKERY EMPLOYED AS COST CLERK. Mr. J.W. Vickery has been named to serve as cost clerk at the state road camp near this city. He is an experienced book keeper and clerical worker.

RITZ THEATER BUILDING UNDERGOING REPAIRS. Extensive repairs to the front of the Ritz Theater are underway this week and will be an improvement to the structure. Manager Mullis announces that the regular programs will continue without interruption while the work is in progress.

July 17, 1942

NEW JOHNSON HOME ON RIVER DESTROYED BY FIRE. The modern new home of Mr. Harry Johnson located just across the St. Marys River in Florida, was totally destroyed by fire of undetermined origin last Friday afternoon. Constructed at a cost of well above $10,000.00, the home was completed and occupied by the family only about three weeks ago. The flames were discovered by E.C. Gowen who was engaged in doing some plumbing work on a nearby garage apartment building, the family being away at the time.

COL. McQUEEN’S SISTER DIED. Mr. and Mrs. A.S. McQueen and Mrs. Arnold Scott were called to Vidalia Saturday by message announcing the serious illness of their sister, Mrs. A.W. Odom, who was stricken with paralysis. She died Sunday. Funeral services were held at Aimwell Presbyterian Church near Vidalia, where she was a charter member, the church having been organized many years ago by her father, the late P.A. McQueen. Interment was in the Odom family cemetery near Lyons.

NEW PASTOR CALLED FOR FOLKSTON BAPTIST CHURCH. Folkston Baptist Church has called Rev. W.B. Hoats of Brooklet, Ga., to serve as the regular pastor. He is said to be an exceptionally able and forceful preacher.

WILLIAM BRYANT DIED. The sad death of William Bryant, 41, son of Wes Bryant, of Camden County but formerly of Traders Hill, occurred July 8 at Carrville, La. at a government hospital where he has been for the past 8 Ω years. His body was brought to Folkston and interred in the Traders Hill Cemetery. Mr. Bryant became infected some nine years ago with catarrhal trouble. Later he became a victim of pellagra and reports of physicians caused government authorities to take the case in hand, the idea prevailing that he had leprosy. After he had been taken to a government hospital, the case was diagnosed as cancer and pellagra. During the long period of his suffering, Mr. Bryant had given his time to study. Rev. E.F. Dean, who taught him in his boyhood days officiated at the last sad rites. He spoke of the serious turn of the mind of this youth. Survivors include his father, Wes Bryant, three sisters, including Mrs. G.M. Simpson and two brothers. Two of his sisters were killed some ten years ago in an automobile wreck in Florida.

NEW BABY BOY FOR BRYANT FAMILY. Mr. and Mrs. George N. Bryant of Jacksonville announce the birth of a 7-pound baby boy born July 13th. He was given the name Bobbie O’Neal. Mrs. Bryant is the former Miss Ernie Belle Altman.

T.W. WRENCH IS NEW RED CROSS CHAIRMAN. The Folkston branch of the American Red Cross, in its annual meeting here Friday, elected T.W. Wrench as chairman of the new year to succeed W.D. Thompson and they voted to apply to national headquarters for a separate charter. Others named as officers were Mrs. B.S. Johnson, J.H. Johnson, John Harris and Mr. and Mrs. E.B. Stapleton .

REBECCA JEAN ALLEN WINS DISTRICT 4-H COMPETITION. Rebecca Jean Allen of Winokur won first place in Yeast Breads in the district 4-H contest at Douglas. She will go later with other district winners to Atlanta and compete in the state 4-H contest.

ALVA HOPKINS RECEIVES ORDERS FOR ACTIVE SERVICE. Alva J. Hopkins, Jr., who held a commission as 2nd Lt. in the U.S. Army Reserves, last week received orders to report for active service with the Corps of Engineers at Camp Thomas, Mass.

WAR NEWS The Army and Navy need typewriters so badly the WPB asks everyone who can spare one to sell it to the government. If you use a sewing machine, here is a tip: Get it in shape for the duration. Sewing machine factories have only two months more in which to make spare parts. That extra two-pound ration of sugar you get with Stamp No. 7 is a bonus for you by American Shipping, which braved Axis mines and subs to bring it in.

THE CITIZENS BANK. Statement of condition of the Citizens Bank of Folkston and Nahunta: Resources, $914,855.15.

COUNTY ROAD CREW GET RAISE. At the county commissioners meeting this week it was decided to raise the day laborers on the road crew from $1.75 to $2.00 per day. It was decided to purchase one $5,000.00 Series G Bond for Charlton County and Gertrude Johnson was given the authority to make the purchase with the Federal Reserve Bank in Jacksonville, the bond to be sent to the Citizens Bank for safekeeping.

July 24, 1942

AIRPLANE OBSERVATION BOOTH INSTALLED ON COURT HOUSE. A 24-hour observation service has been organized for Folkston by Air Raid Warden C.F. Adkins. An observation booth has been installed on the courthouse roof, with a watcher on duty at all times to report the movements of aircraft passing over the city. Reports are telephoned to Jacksonville headquarters at regular intervals. A sufficient number of volunteers have been recruited for the service that watchers are required to be on duty only two-hour periods each week. Chief Warden Adkins states that a meeting is to be held in St. George Tuesday evening for organizing an airplane observation program for St. George.

GATOR HUNTER THOUGHT TO BE A SPY. A gator-hunter calmly paddling his boat down the St. Marys River Monday night failed to obey an order of the ACL bridge guard to halt, and as a consequence was greeted with a hail of bullets, some twenty shots having been fired by the state guards before he was made to realize that it was best for him to stop. He was engaged in the peaceful pursuit of gator-hunting, three dead gators in the boat being cited as evidence.

HILBERT EARL RODDENBERRY DIED. Hilbert Earl Roddenberry, 39, of Jacksonville, died in a hospital there last Friday following an extended illness. He was a native of Charlton County but had been a resident of Jacksonville for 26 years. He was a son of the late Leon Roddenberry and a nephew of Mrs. J.W. Rodgers. Besides his wife, survivors include two daughters and two brothers, Eugene E. and William Roddenberry, both of Los Angeles, California.

SOLDIER JUMPED FROM MOVING TRAIN, DIED NEAR HOMELAND. Sunday morning while the ACL fast passenger train No. 94 was passing through Homeland, a young soldier in uniform broke a window from the coach in which he was traveling and jumped head first from the train which was traveling at a speed of about 50 miles an hour. Indications are that he landed on his feet and while a bloody handkerchief was found at the scene, it was not thought he was very badly hurt as he immediately disappeared. Later the dead body of the soldier has been found in the woods two miles north of Homeland by two Negro turpentine workers. From papers in his pocket his identity was established as George Henry Beckerman of Iowa, about 23 years old.

ALLEN AND PLAYER BUSINESS MOVES TO FOLKSTON. The general mercantile business operated at Winokur for the past several months by the firm of Allen and Player is to be moved to Folkston and is expected to begin business Monday. It will occupy quarters in the Masonic building. Necessary shelving and other alterations are being made this week. The firm, composed of W.R. Allen and R.E. Player, several months ago bought out the Roddenberry Store at Winokur. They plan to continue operation of a general mercantile business here.

MR. J.J. HARROD DIED. The death July 16 of Mr. J.J. Harrod at the home of Mr. Homer Kight at Traders Hill solved the mystery of a recluse. He had been in Charlton County for several months, coming here from Emanuel County, as indicated by records in the Welfare Department. However he was very reticent about himself, having little or nothing to say about his past life. He suffered from heart trouble and high blood pressure and being 87 years of age, it was impossible to survive the ailments. Mrs. Kight took him into their home and administered to him while he was helpless and ailing. After two weeks illness he passed away and was laid to rest by Adkins Funeral Home in the Folkston cemetery. A notebook found in a shirt pocket gave his family record. His parents were Morgan and Belinda Harrod and he was the second child of eleven born. There was the address of two brothers, Dr. John and Dr. Morse Harrod of Indiana. His brothers have been advised of his death and burial but nothing has been heard from them. He was a fine musician and had tuned several organs in rural churches of this territory.

APPEAL FOR FUNDS TO REPAIR CITY FENCE. Farmer J.M. Wilson this week asked the Herald to publish an appeal for people to contribute to a fund to be used in repairing the fence around the city originally built for the purpose of keeping the livestock out of the city limits. Mr. Wilson states the fence has been broken down in many places, especially along the western side and it offers practically no obstacle to cows and hogs. He and his neighbors find it almost impossible to keep their livestock out of the city and its expensive pound. This has been called to the attention of city officials but no action has been taken. He believes people of the community should help bear the expense of maintaining the fence and suggests that a fund be raised for this purpose.

NOBLE THAXTON LISTED AS A CASUALTY IN TORPEDOED SHIP. Noble Thaxton, a former resident of Folkston who has been serving in the U.S. Merchant Marines, for the second time during his service was aboard a ship which was reported torpedoed and sunk on July 9th. Young Thaxton spent a few days here about two months ago following his first experience on a torpedoed ship, from which he was rescued. The last ship sailed from a Gulf port and his name is on the casualty list as missing. He is a nephew of Mrs. W.H. Robinson and was once a student in the local school.

STATISTICS ON GEORGIA CCC CAMPS. When the CCC closed its books on June 30th it had to its credit more than nine years of work in conservation on state and national parks, state and privately-owned land and a total of more than four million man-days of work. The CCC boys built about 2300 miles of roads, 225 miles of trails, nearly 1200 bridges, 416 buildings, 3,000 miles of telephone lines and 62 miles of fences. Besides completing many other projects the CCC spent 59,000 man-days fighting forest fires. These figures cover the CCC’s record in the state of Georgia.

WAR NEWS. A list of things the WPB has stopped production in the past six months makes us realize that war is striking right into our homes. Here are some of them: radios, sewing machines, vacuum cleaners, lawn mowers, domestic oil burners, electric ranges, electrical appliances, domestic washing machines, ironers and outboard motors. And here is another list in which production has been sharply cut down: baby carriages, bedding and mattresses, bicycles, cutlery, caskets and burial vaults, domestic ice refrigerators, fountain pens, mechanical pencils, kitchen utensils and razor blades.

BACON DRIPPINGS TO FIGHT THE AXIS. Who would have thought it, but fats make glycerin and glycerin makes explosives. If American housewives salvage only one-fourth the kitchen greases ordinarily thrown out it will provide the power for firing many anti-tank shells at our enemies. One pound of fat contains enough glycerin to make the explosive for four anti-aircraft shells. Take your waste kitchen fat to your butcher in containers holding not less than one pound. Be sure and strain the grease before you turn it in. “From the frying pan to the firing line,” that’s the slogan.

NEW BABY GIRL FOR NORMAN FAMILY. Lt. and Mrs. L.R. Norman of California announce the birth of a baby daughter, Judith Ann, on July 4th. Mrs. Norman will be remembered as Miss Martha Grace Wilson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Wilson.

July 31, 1942

ICE PLANT HAS NEW OWNER. The Folkston Ice and Cold Storage plant, owned the past several years by S.M. Altman, this week passed to new ownership, the concern having been acquired by J.B. Hinson of Waycross, owner of the sawmill plant located near the storage plant. He announced the plant will continue to be operated with B.A. Altman in charge as manager. The concern operates a retail ice business in addition to a cold storage and meat curing business. Ice is not manufactured here, being secured from a Waycross concern.

CORONER’S JURY CONTINUING INVESTIGATION. A jury summoned by Coroner John Banks is continuing its investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of John Henry Beckerman, a young soldier who a week ago Sunday either jumped or was thrown from a rapidly moving ACL passenger train near Homeland. The coroner’s jury are inclined to believe there is a possibility of foul play. It has not been established that anyone witnessed the soldier’s plunge from the train in spite of the fact that the four-car train carried nearly 300 passengers.

WAYCROSS AIR BASE OPENS. The first formal ceremonies at the new Waycross Air Base was held Sunday afternoon when a U.S. Army Engineer flag was raised on a flag staff in front of the office of the engineer. The nature of the huge construction program was not explained in detail since this information is of a military nature. But visitors were permitted to view the vast area of housing units, hospital units and other units under construction.

E.C. SMITH RESIGNS AS SUPERIOR COURT CLERK. Everett C. Smith, who has served as Clerk of Superior Court for the past several years this week tendered his resignation, to become effective immediately. He has accepted a clerical position with the Rayonier Co. in Fernandina. Edgar F. Allen, who has been serving as deputy clerk was appointed by A.S. McQueen as temporary clerk.

NEW BABY GIRL FOR KNOWLES FAMILY. Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Knowles of Camp Pinckney welcomed a new daughter into their home last week. She has been given the name Mary Virginia. Both mother and child are getting along fine.

BOYS PLAYING ON COURTHOUSE ROOF. Since the recent installment of the observation booth on top of the county court house, a number of boys have made the court house roof a playground, running about on top of the building. This is likely to cause damage to the roof. County officials have requested the Herald to notify parents to instruct their boys to use the walk constructed for the purpose in going to and from the booth, if they have business up there.

Charlton  County Archives