Digest of Charlton County Herald - July 1936

Compiled by Lois Barefoot Mays

July 3, 1936

HERALD CELEBRATES ANNIVERSARY. The Herald celebrates its 37th anniversary with this issue. It is the oldest business establishment in continuous existence in Charlton County and has had an eventful career under the able direction of a number of editors who have contributed much to the progress and upbuilding of Folkston and the county. The operation of a country newspaper is quite different from what it was when the Herald was established in 1898. The Herald began with a patent print on every page. The late Honorable William Olliff was its founder. He started the journalistic juvenile out in June 1898 for the purpose of securing for Folkston the county seat of Charlton County. The campaign ended with the courthouse coming to Folkston from Traders Hill. A new courthouse was built and dedicated with the trial of the noted Dyal case in 1904. Col. Olliff, soon after he started his venture, began printing the paper in Waycross. However in that year the paper began changing hands in rapid succession, Col. Olliff selling it to Benjamin Sams, who was a representative of the Savannah Morning News. Col. Olliff continued to edit the paper while Mr. Sams installed a modern “Washington Hand Press”, beginning a home print paper. Then L.E. Mallard purchased the plant and ran it for a while, Col. Olliff again becoming its editor. Then B.E. Tyler assumed charge and later Eustace Wainwright was editor and owner, also printing a Homeland edition. Mr. Mallard repurchased the plant and a short while later selling it to Miss Kathleen deGraffenreid, whose father ran the paper until T.W. Wrench became editor and owner in August 1914. Two years later Mrs. W.H. Robinson became owner of the Herald for eight years. Mr. Wrench again assumed ownership and operated the paper until the present editor, R. Ward Harrison, took over in June of last year. The work of the Herald during the first fifteen years has been notable, the Dixie Highway, now Federal Route One was secured. All three former editors, Col. Olliff, L.E. Mallard and T.W. Wrench working to that end. The countywide school tax and building the school buildings was emphasized. Mrs. Robinson proved as good a booster as the masculine editors who preceded her.

FIFTY CCC MEN TO WORK IN CHARLTON. A detail of fifty men from the Satilla Bluff CCC camp near Woodbine has been assigned to work in Charlton County, completing some truck trails and firebreaks for the Charlton Timber Protective Organization. The CCC detail can work only in a radius of forty miles from the camp, which will restrict their activities to just beyond Toledo.

NO CANNING IN MONIAC THIS WEEK. On account of the bad roads and the narrow gauge of his car, C.W. Waughtel, in charge of the county canneries, was unable to get to Moniac this week. He will can at the Folkston plant the rest of the week. The St. George women will meet next Wednesday with a number of small cookers and hand sealers to can their surplus vegetables. Miss Proctor will be in charge. Mr. Waughtel will be on hand with the No. 3 tin cans.

THREE CHOSEN FOR 4-H CLUB CAMP. County Agent W.D. Jones announces the names of three Charlton County youth chosen to attend South Georgia 4-H Club Camp at ABAC College in Tifton. They are Herbert Crews, Cecil Conner and George Chism. The three young men were chosen for their leadership ability.

MRS. THRIFT VERY SICK. The many friends of postmaster M.D. Thrift of Winokur will learn with regret of the serious illness of Mrs. Thrift who is suffering from a malignant cancer. The condition of Mrs. Thrift is reported to be extremely grave and but slight hopes are entertained for her recovery.

MR. THOMAS LOVETTE PICKREN DIED. Thomas Lovette Pickren, age 74, one of Charlton County’s most prominent and highly regarded citizens, died at his home here Saturday. He was stricken suddenly during the night and passed away a short while later before medical aid could be summoned. He had been in declining health for the past several years but the announcement of his sudden passing shocked and grieved his many friends. He was a native of Coffee County, where he was born June 16, 1862. He came to Charlton County from Ware more than thirty years ago. He was for many years engaged in the naval stores and mercantile business here but retired when his health failed five or six years ago. He took a sincere interest in public affairs, served the town and county unselfishly. He was in the State Legislature, Mayor and Alderman of Folkston, City Treasurer, President of the County Board of Education, County Convict Warden, Judge of County Court, Past Master Mason, Shriner, Odd Fellow and a life-long Methodist. Besides his wife he is survived by five daughters, Mrs. R.L. Free, Mrs. Kathleen Tison, Closs Pickren, Mrs. Robert L. Pearre, Mrs. J.S. Robinson; five sons, A.H. Pickren, Rev. T.E. Pickren, Taylor L. Pickren, V.J. Pickren and Woodrow Pickren; one brother, Jim Pickren; one sister, Mrs. Sam Morgan. Funeral services were conducted from Folkston Methodist Church with burial in the Folkston Cemetery. Oxley Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.

REVIVAL WITH RESULTS. The Union revival services at the Methodist Church, which has been going on for the past two weeks, has been well attended and has done great good. One incident of the past week shows the intensity of the power of the Spirit. When the ministers offered to pray for those desiring it, one came to the mourners’ bench and confessed repentance. After the service he requested two of the ministers to go to his home and there had them pour out 22 pints of illicit liquor and said never again would he deal with it. This would indicate the work being done and the power of the Spirit.

YOUNG PEOPLE LEAD THE WAY. Geraldine Waughtel and Beulah Lee Waughtel and other young people have Homeland aroused to do something for the common good. The Council has agreed to clean up the lot and have something done with the old stone Baptist Church building. These young ladies are doing some good work developing the younger element and this old building will make an ideal community center.

NOTICE: I wish to announce to the people of the community that I am prepared to do mattress-renovating work and solicit your patronage in this line. Work guaranteed the best and prices reasonable. Will renovate your mattress and furnish ticking at $3.00 or if the ticking is furnished by customer, for $2.00. I’ll have this work done by a home man who can be depended on to do good work, and return all material entrusted to his care. G.H. JACOBS.

July 10, 1936

BAILEY’S BRANCH SCHOOL HISTORY. The following interesting letter describing the schools in the early days of Charlton’s history was sent in by Mr. W.O. Gibson, which we are glad to publish:

Editor Herald:

When I read in the Brantley Enterprise a few days ago of the death of Professor Harvey W. Mitchum. I thought of the management of schools when he was teaching here something more than forty years ago and of the management at the present time and the mention I am making of the difference between then and now relates to the system and is not intended to cast reflection on any individual.

Then each community had its own school. The selection of teachers was made by the patrons and teachers who were employed were those who were competent, regardless of whether or not they attended college and instead of inexperienced girls being employed as teachers, only men and women of mature judgment were placed in charge of schools. Skylarking at night of pupils would have been promptly reproved and had the teachers engaged in such they would have been dismissed and their license would have been revoked. Usually eight hours was considered a school day. Children walked to school, some going a distance of three miles. There were no buses to take them up at the gates of their homes in the morning and put them there about the middle of the afternoon provided they had been so fortunate as to escape death or injury by accidents or wrecks.

I will now go further back than Mr. Mitchum’s day and give a description of the first school I ever attended. The time was before the commencement of the Civil War and the location was near the present home of Mr. E.C. Kennison. The teacher was a Frenchman whose name was Peter deYoung. The pupils as their names were then were Seab Mills, Lizzie Mills, Martha Mizell, Everett Mizell, Lucy Mizell and Billie Mizell, John Kennison, Tom Kennison, Sol Vickery, Kate Vickery, Jimmy Hagin, Owen Gibson. Where are they now. Everett Mizell and Solomon Vickery have moldered away in soldiers’ graves in the soil of Virginia. S.F. Mills and Mrs. Lizzie Rudolph, John B. Kennison and Thomas V. Kennison are lying in the Mills Cemetery. Mrs. Martha Lang is in a cemetery in Miami. William Mizell, Sr. is resting in the Folkston Cemetery, the town where he spent his declining days after a very active life. Mrs. Kate Wainwright occupies a grave in Sardis Cemetery and James R. Hagin has lain for many years in a cemetery where Bailey’s Branch Church was located in the long ago. Mrs. Lucy Lang resides in Waycross, her home for many years and W.O. Gibson is living in this vicinity. These two survivors of that school are well up in the age that must follow the schoolmates of their childhood.

For the information and perhaps the amusement of some of the readers of the Herald, I will give a description of that ancient schoolhouse. In size it was about fifteen feet square and built of pine logs from which the bark had not been removed. The floor was clay, the seats were hewn puncheons. The writing desk was a plank about one foot wide and reached across the back end of the house. It had but one door and the only window was an opening made by removing two of the logs just above the writing desk and the shutter was a piece of plank suspended by leather straps for hinges.

What a contrast between that rude schoolhouse and the present buildings with polished walls and varnished seats.

Respectfully, W.O. GIBSON

NAHUNTA GETS ELECTRICITY. The Enterprise has announced the past week that power has been turned on in Nahunta, Hoboken having had it a week sooner. The power line was extended from Waycross as a result of the agitation carried on by that paper, and cooperation of people of both communities.

McCOYS TO STAY IN ALMA. Mrs. W.R. McCoy and children left Saturday for Alma where they will make their home in the future after residing here for the past several weeks. Dr. McCoy had planned to return to Folkston to resume his practice but decided to remain in Alma where he will operate a hospital.

CHARLTON BOYS JOIN CCC. Charlton County boys reporting at the recruiting station in Waycross Monday for CCC enrollment were: Nelson Green, Moniac; Elmer Lloyd, Toledo; Gordie C. Howard, St. George; Norman Chesser, Folkston, Traders Hill District; Herman Smith, Folkston, Traders Hill District; Traver Cook, Jr., Folkston; Morris Huling, Folkston and John Woolard, Folkston. News reached Miss Smith this A.M. that all boys were accepted except Morris Huling who was sent on to Thomasville to be accepted there. Two of the boys have written and given the locations of their camps. They are Tarver Cook, Bloomingdale and Elmer Lloyd in camp at Baxley.

JONES PLEADS FOR FARMERS COOPERATION. County Agent W.D. Jones said that this week he received a letter from a canning company in Augusta wanting 5,000 pounds of tomatoes. “I am sure we have more than 5,000 pounds in this county. I could sell most any produce grown in this county. So far I have been unable to get the cooperation of the county in this matter, therefore making it difficult for me to render any service in marketing farm produce.”

SWAMP SURVEY CONTINUES. The information has been given out that the survey of the Okefenokee Swamp by the government crew will last at least three months longer. The entire swamp is being surveyed which will include some 6,000 acres. This survey extends from a few miles south of Waycross to a point within a few miles of Moniac. The purchase of this swamp by the government was made possible by a law enacted in 1928 through efforts of Representative Mallard and kept when an effort was made during the past legislature to repeal it. Rep. Wrench was given the honor of defeating the repeal bill.

ST. GEORGE—MONIAC ROAD. The work was begun this week on the road to Moniac leading out from St. George. This is the proposed new highway from Jacksonville to Valdosta and made possible by the last legislature and federal WPA work.

MRS. FANNY COOPER PRICE DIED. The many friends of Mrs. Fanny Price will be sorry to learn of her death on July 5th at her home six miles east of Folkston. Fanny B. Price was born at Edwardsville, Ill. January 21, 1874. She was a member of the M.E. Church in Edwardsville. After receiving her elementary education she finished school in St. Louis where she edited a magazine and was married March, 1897 and widowed fifteen months later. In 1914 she was admitted to the state bar of Missouri where she practiced law for a number of years till she was compelled to give up practice on account of deafness. She devoted most of her time to Social Service work. In 1924 she and her father came to Jacksonville. Sheridan Cooper, who survived her, came to live with them while in Jacksonville. January 15, 1930 after the death of their father, Mrs. Price and her brother, Mr. Cooper, came to Camden County until the first of the year when they moved to Charlton. She was buried in Homeland Cemetery.

SHOE REPAIR SHOP OPENED. Ad for New Deal Shoe Shop owned by D. Tootle, Manager. Ladies’ shoes dyed any color. Shoe fixing is his job. Second hand shoes for sale. All work done by machinery. Located just across street from McDonald House.

BRICK MASONS FALL. Monday afternoon a hastily constructed scaffolding erected for the brick masons at work on the schoolhouse, broke from its mooring and caused Dock Huling and Albert Moore, masons, to fall about eight feet. Huling falling futherest had no bruises while Moore snagged his leg but not seriously. Both were able to be at work the next day.

WEDDING. Mrs. Lois Frederick and Mr. Earl M. Garrison were quietly married July 4th at the home of the groom’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Garrison, Homeland, with the Rev. E.G. Kilpatrick officiating. They will be at home to their many friends in Homeland.

July 17, 1936

TOMBSTONES. Rock bottom prices. See me for reduced prices on tombstones, freight

prepaid and satisfaction guaranteed by a reliable marble company. W.O. GIBSON.

KINGSLAND HIGHWAY TO BE PAVED. The Georgia Highway Department let contracts last week with the Federal Government paying eighty percent of the cost. In Charlton County, 6.483 miles of paved road and two culvert type bridges on the Folkston-Kingsland road, beginning at Folkston and ending at the Camden County line will be paved. The Gibson & Robinson Construction Co. from Donaldsonville got the job for $92,500.00.

THOMAS W. WRENCH RUNNING FOR LEGISLATURE. [Picture of T.W. Wrench] He is for Social Security, cooperating with the Federal Government measure, meaning $30.00 per month for all that are 65 years and older. He voted for this measure in the state legislature in 1935. Georgia counties are now paying out over $500,000. annually for paupers and this bill will save half of it.

MR. R.A.J. McDUFFIE DIED. Mr. R.A.J. McDuffie, 54, well known farmer of the Nahunta section, died Friday at his home. Final rites are being held today at Bethlehem Church. Among others, he is survived by a brother, W.L. McDuffie and two sisters, Mrs. Julia Dinkins and Mrs. Archer Dinkins.

MR. EDWARD B. WELCH DIED. A heart attack was fatal to Edward B. Welch, Sr., 57, at his home here Monday morning. He had moved to Folkston about four months ago from Waycross where he had served as mechanical foreman for the Hercules Powder Co., where he had been employed for twenty years. He was dressing, preparing to go to work when he suffered a sudden attack, dying almost instantly. He lived in Brunswick 18 years before moving to Waycross. He is survived by his wife, two sons, Ed B. Welch, Jr. and Rudolph Welch and many other relatives. The body was carried Tuesday to Waynesville for last rites. Funeral services and interment were at Pilgrim’s Rest Cemetery.

THE CITIZENS BANK. Statement of condition of the Citizens Bank of Folkston and Nahunta at close of business on June 30, 1936: Resources, $470,933.30.

July 24, 1936

T.A. SCOTT INSTALLS MODERN PRESSING CLUB. A modern equipped steam-pressing machine has been installed in the old Mattox Building by T.A. Scott, the new enterprise beginning operation last week with a large number of orders.

CANNERY CLOSED DOWN. Canning operations at the Charlton County cannery ceases on July 24 as per instructions from the Savannah office of the WPA. We regret to learn of this action. As a result of the canning campaign, thousands of cans of vegetables were canned and stored away for winter use. The recent rains have revived some of the late tomato crops as well as the field peas. In view of the drought in other sections the Herald urges all farmers to can up everything possible. Groceries will be high.

MONIAC SCHOOL TEACHERS. At the Board of Education meeting last week Thyra McDuffie, Leila Crews and Ernie Lee Johns were elected teachers for the Moniac Consolidated School.

BAPTIST GROUP ENJOYS OUTING. The BYPU group enjoyed a watermelon cutting at Scott’s Landing Monday afternoon. Water sports and games were enjoyed. Those present were Rev. E.G. Kilpatrick, Jewell Mizell, Martha Sue Dean, Kathryn Thompson, Kathleen Stapleton, Irene Gibson, Virginia Battle, Mabel Askew, Elizabeth Passieu, Jimmy Allen, Elliot Allen, Clifton Gowen, Carl Scott, Jr., Walter Mills, J.E. Harvey, J.A. Mills, Robert Harrison.

July 31, 1936

MRS. JANE HOWARD WAINWRIGHT DIED. Blackshear, Ga., July 25th---Mrs. Jane Howard Wainwright died late last night at the residence of a son, S.E. Wainwright. She was the widow of the late W.L. Wainwright. The family came here from Charlton County some time ago. She will be buried at Antioch Primitive Baptist Church, of which deceased was a member, near Folkston Sunday morning. Survivors are two daughters, Mrs. Forest Kirkland and Mrs. Archie Minchew; three sons, H.J. Wainwright, S.E. Wainwright and Dawson Wainwright; two brothers, Allen Howard and William Howard.

PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH REPAINTED. The Folkston Presbyterian Church is shining brightly with a new coat of white paint recently applied, which adds much to the appearance of the building. It has been completely repainted and repaired throughout. Services are being held twice each month, Rev. Chatman of St. Marys is pastor.

MARION MILLS VISITS HERE. Some of our folks were very much pleased to meet up with Mr. Marion Mills, our old friend of Uptonville’s busy days, a few days ago while on a brief visit here. Mr. Mills twice owned the Mattox turpentine place and both times J.W. Vickery was a party to the transactions. He was on his way to his old home in Atkinson County to attend a homecoming gathering at which he is chief orator of the day. He now lives at Cross City. Fla. He stopped over with his brother-in-law, Mr. O’Neal, of Homeland.

DR. WILLIAMS IN WINOKUR. Dr. Williams visited the sick in Winokur Monday and his many friends were glad to see him.

Charlton  County Archives