Digest of Charlton County Herald - June 1942

Compiled by Lois Barefoot Mays

June 5, 1942

FOLKSTON BOYS NOW IN NEW ARMY AIR CORPS POSTS. Folkston boys recently sent to Texas for training in the Army Air Corps have been sent to new locations. Johnnie Allen is said to be somewhere in California. Bill McQueen is at Paine Field, Washington state. Junior Stapleton is at Duncan Field, Texas. Harry Harvey remains at Shepherd Field where he is taking a five months course with an aviation radio unit.

WINOKUR COMMISSIONER STATUS QUESTIONED. Acting on complaints filed by them from citizens of the Winokur district, Commissioners O.E. Raynor, P.G. Brooks and Ralph Davis this week formally preferred charges against Commissioner Jack C. Howard of the Winokur district, that he is not now a legal resident of the county and is disqualified from serving as a member of the Board. Since Commissioner Howard moved his family to Pierce County some time ago, his legal status as a member of the commissioners is in question. Chairman Hopkins called a special meeting of the Board for next week when a formal hearing of the charges will be held.

PLANE MAKES FORCED LANDING IN CORNFIELD. A small cabin cruiser airplane occupied by New York residents made a forced landing in the corn field of John Petty near Mattox one afternoon last week when engine trouble developed and the motor went dead. Although the airplane which had been purchased only a few days before was badly damaged in the crash, Mr. and Mrs. DuBois escaped serious injury. They were enroute to Miami and continued their journey by train. The wrecked plane was removed from the corn field, towed into Folkston by Pickren Service Station and was crated for shipment to Malvern, N.Y. by W.T. Johnson.

EDGAR ALLEN IS DEPUTY CLERK OF COURT. Edgar F. Allen will take over the duties as acting Clerk of Superior Court in the absence from the city of Clerk Everett C. Smith. He agreed to serve as acting clerk until Clerk Smith makes a final decidion regarding his future plans.

APPLY FOR SUGAR STAMPS FOR CANNING. Applications for canning sugar can be made at the office of the rationing board at the courthouse, between 9:00 and 4:00 each day. Canning allotments are based on the number of canned fruits prepared in 1941. The use of sugar for making jam, jelly or preserves was restricted to one pound for each person.

WALLACE GIBSON MAY BE A JAPANESE PRISONER OF WAR. Wallace Gibson, son of W.E. Gibson, who has served in the U. S. Navy for the past several years, is believed to be a Prisoner of War in the hands of the Japanese, although his family and friends here have had no direct word from him since late in December. When last heard from by his father here, young Gibson was stationed at the Cavite Naval Station near Manila, where he was attached to a naval radio unit. He is believed to have been transferred with a naval detachment to Gen. McArthur’s forces on Bataan when the Cavite Naval Base was abandoned shortly after the fall of Manila. Wallace enlisted in the Navy in 1937 and most of his service has been with the Pacific Fleet. He has a wife and two year old son who live in the state of Washington.

JAMES TEMPLETON TRANSFERRED TO ARIZONA. Cadet James R. Templeton has been transferred to Williams Field, Arizona where he will be given ten weeks instruction and will receive a commission as 2nd Lt. in the Army Air Corps Reserve. His mother, Mrs. H.D. Templeton, member of the local faculty, left this week for Arizona where she will be with her son and be present at his graduation. They will be joined for the graduation by her daughter, Mary Sue Templeton, a registered nurse in a New York hospital.

MISS PROCTOR’S TEAPOT TOP. In the “Little Stories of a Big City” feature in the Atlanta Journal Magazine Sunday was the following: “Miss Gertrude Proctor of Folkston, Ga. has had a china teapot for about thirty-four years. This year I broke the top and we have hunted in Savannah, Jacksonville, Valdosta and numerous other places for a top but none would fit. Last week we were working in our Victory Garden and she dug up a top that fit exactly. Later we discovered the initials G.P. on it so it must have been meant for Gertrude Proctor. - MRS. CHARLES P. WILSON, Folkston.”

SEVEN CONVICTS ESCAPE. Overpowering two guards and confiscating their weapons, clothes and a camp truck, seven convicts from the state convict camp near here, made good their escape shortly after noon Wednesday. They drove off in the direction of Jesup.

NEW WAR BOND QUOTAS. Washington, D.C. ˝ Henry Morgenthau, Jr. , Secretary of the Treasury, reports new War Bond quotas for the 3,070 counties in the nation. The quota for June for Georgia is $7,443,500. “Everybody every payday, ten percent,” is the battle cry throughout the country. Charlton’s June quota is $2,400.00.

PREVATT-HUGGINS WEDDING. A marriage that will be of much interest to friends here was that of Miss Vira Prevatt to Mr. Erlis H. Huggins, the ceremony being performed Saturday by Judge A.S. McQueen at his residence. The bride is a talented young singer and pianist and very active in church work. Mr. Huggins is an employee of the ACL Railroad and is stationed in Jacksonville. They will live in Jacksonville.

LOPER-MINIX WEDDING. A marriage of much interest to many friends was that of Miss Wilma Loper to Cpl. Earnest D. Minix of Fort McPherson, Ga. The ceremony took place May 9th in Waycross with Ware County Ordinary John M. Cox officiating. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H.J. Loper and the groom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. S.E. Minix of Fitzgerald and is serving in the U.S. Army. They will make their home in Atlanta.

HOT LUNCHES AT SCHOOL. In Charlton County during the last school year 333 children were served hot lunches in the school lunch room, staffed by the Work Projects Administration of Georgia. These were locally sponsored by the P-TA and other groups.

MONIAC SEVENTH GRADE GRADUATION. Last Wednesday night the graduation of the seventh grade at Moniac was carried out with the following on the program: Daiseybelle Thrift, Dan Raulerson, Ray Mixon, Geneva Lane, Kathryn Crawford, Claudie Johns and Jeannette Burnsed.

FOLKSTON JR. HIGH GRADUATION. One of the most impressive exercises of the week was the graduation of a class of 37 from the Junior High on Thursday morning. They were seated on the stage in V formation. Just before the certificates were presented the president of the class, Margie Solomon, gave into the keeping of the school, a $100.00 war saving bond purchased by the class as a gift to the school. Those on the program included Juanita Hathaway, Carroll Wright, Jr., Talmadge Guy, Roy Lee Miller, Betty Southwell, Jewell Prevatt, Margie Solomon.

ST. GEORGE PLAY AND GRADUATION ON THURSDAY. Thursday afternoon and evening the graduation at St. George took place. The main event was a graduation play with the following being characters: Christine Nazworth, Ida Mae Renshaw, Mary Alice Norman, Aubrey Parham, Audrey Stokes, Juanita Raulerson, Orville Spivey, Myrtice Hutson, Jeannette Crawford, R.T. Kirkland. Thursday night at St. George High School five pupils received diplomas: Ludelle Cobb, Avener Holt, Vera Johns, John Wesley Lyons and Elsie Lourena Stokes.

June 12, 1942

HEART ATTACK WHILE FISHING IN SATILLA IS FATAL TO JOE O’BERRY. Joe O’Berry, age about 60, life-long citizen of Charlton County and well known in the Winokur District where he resided, was stricken with a heart attack while fishing from a boat in the Satilla River about two miles above Burnt Fort Tuesday and toppled from the boat into the river, his body being recovered several hours later. He is believed to have died almost immediately as there was practically no water in his lungs. Proctor Prescott, son of Mrs. O.M. Prescott, was with Mr. O’Berry at the time of the fatal attack. He made every effort possible to rescue the stricken man from the water but was unable to get him into the boat. Young Prescott hurried to Burnt Fort, reported the accident and secured help in recovering the body which was quickly found a short distance from where he fell into the water. While no inquest was held, a post mortem examination was conducted by Dr. W.R. McCoy, county physician who found that Mr. O’Berry’s death resulted from a heart attack. Beside his former wife, Mrs. Agnes O’Berry, survivors include two sons, Sollie and Carl O’Berry; six daughters, Mrs. H.B. Glover, Mrs. L.S. Williams, Mrs. T.P. Cress, Mrs. D.W. Arnold, Mrs. L.H. Mattair and Mrs. Ethel Griffis; three brothers, H.B., J.C. and L.B. O’Berry; two sisters, Mrs. Lillian Westberry and Mrs. Ottie Highsmith. Funeral services were held Wednesday at the graveside at the Allen Cemetery with Elder Hickox officiating. Burial arrangements were in charge of Adkins Funeral Home.

COUSINS ARE COMMITTED TO INSANE HOSPITAL. Joseph and Edson Crawford, both of the Moniac section, and who are said to be cousins, were committed to the State Hospital for the Insane at Milledgeville after a hearing before Ordinary A.S. McQueen, about ten days ago. The two men were held in the county jail here and then taken to Milledgeville by Sheriff J.O. Sikes.

SGT. WILLSON ASSIGNED TO VALDOSTA AIR BASE. Sgt. Charles P. Willson, a former member of the Folkston school faculty, who has been serving in the Army at Fort Benjamin Harrison, Indiana has been assigned to the Valdosta Air Base.

NEW BABY BOY FOR ROY HODGES FAMILY. Mr. and Mrs. Roy Hodges announce the birth of a fine baby son, born May 31 at the McCoy-Sawyer Hospital. He has been named Vinson Arthur Hodges, Jr. in honor of his paternal grandfather.

COMMISSIONER HOWARD NOT LEGAL RESIDENT OF COUNTY. The Charlton County Board of Commissioners, with all members present, met in special called session this week for the purpose of conducting a hearing in connection with formal charges brought that Commissioner J.C. Howard of the Winokur District is not now a legal resident of the county and is therefore not qualified to serve as a member of the Board. A written legal opinion of County Attorney A.S. McQueen was read, after which attorney E.O. Blalock appeared for Commissioner Howard. It was decided that with the act of removal from the county by Commissioner Howard, his office has been vacated.

WADE RHODEN RETURNS FROM JOHNS HOPKINS. Wade “Tobe” Rhoden returned from the Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, last week, where he h ad gone for an eye operation. The sight of his left eye has been greatly improved by the operation. He is known as the blind boy of the Okefenokee, being blind from birth. Recently he has taken a stand for the right and is very active in religious work. He wishes to thank all who had a part in making his trip to Baltimore a success.

MRS. A.C. WILDES DIED. News was received by Charlton County friends and relatives of the death Thursday of Mrs. A.C. Wildes, who passed away at her home near Alma following a heart attack. She was a native of Charlton County and had lived here practically all her life until her family moved to Bacon County about four or five years ago, where they have since resided. Besides her husband, A.C. Wildes, survivors include six sons, Arnold, Milton, Liston, Clyde, Leon and Homer Wildes; two daughters, Hazel and Jimmie Wildes; a stepdaughter; two sisters, Mrs. Florence Anderson and Mrs. John O’Berry; one brother, Arthur Anderson. Funeral services will be conducted at Corinth Church Friday.

MISS JOHNSTON IS WORKING AT THE CITIZENS BANK. Miss Susie Johnston, who has served as a member of the Folkston school faculty for the past few years, has accepted a position with the Citizens Bank as a bookkeeper.

NEW BABY BOY BORN TO GRIFFIN FAMILY. Born to Mrs. Albert Griffin at McCoy-Sawyer Hospital, a baby boy on June 8th. Both are doing fine.

WILLIAM L. THOMAS DIED. William L. Thomas, well-known Waycross business man, died Monday afternoon at his home there after a short illness. Mr. Thomas was a brother of Mrs. E.L. Martin of Folkston and had other relatives and friends here who will learn of his death with sorrow. He was a native of Brantley County and a member of one of the most prominent and widely-connected families of that section. Other survivors include his wife, one son, four brothers and five sisters. Funeral services were held Wednesday morning at 11:00 in Waycross, conducted by the Rev. Lee Sweat. Folkston relatives and friends attended.

ALFRED KNOWLES IS IN NAVY. Alfred Knowles has enlisted in the U.S. Navy and has been sent to Norfolk, Va. for training.

CAMP PINCKNEY GARDENS. Mrs. Jeff Lloyd and Mrs. Steve Woolard of Camp Pinckney are the champion bean growers of this community. They have had all they could use and plenty to divide with the beanless neighbors.

NEW BABY BOY FOR NETTLES FAMILY. Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Nettles are the proud parents of a fine baby boy, born June 9th. Both mother and baby are reported to be doing nicely.

June 19, 1942

NEW FEDERAL VEHICLE TAX STAMP. Your second federal vehicle tax stamp is now on sale at the post office. This one will cost you $5.00. The new stamp is red with a design similar to the first stamp issued in January. Glue is on the decorated side so that it can be attached to the windshield from the inside of the automobile. On the reverse side are the spacing where the motorist must record make, model, motor number and state tag number of his vehicle. The stamp also has a serial number. Official use of the stamp begins on July 1 and lasts for one year.

MR. HOLLAND BROWN VERY SICK. Mr. Holland Brown of Newell, well known and highly regarded Charlton County citizen, remains in a critical condition in St. Vincent’s Hospital where he underwent an operation Monday for the removal of a brain tumor following a serious attack at his home last week.

ANOTHER REGISTRATION FOR DRAFT. A statement issued by the local Selective Service Board this week is as follows: The Charlton County Local Board announces a fifth registration to be held June 30th at which time all men born on or after June 1, 1922 and on or before June 30, 1924, shall be required to register. Registration will be held for one day only between 7:00 A.M. and 9:00 P.M. at the high school buildings at Folkston and St. George.

RUBBER CAMPAIGN GETS UNDERWAY. Boy Scouts bearing baskets of old rubber heels, housewives with discarded hot water bottles and farmers toting old tractor tires flocked to the nation’s filling stations this week in a collection drive designed to help offset Japan’s blows at the United Nation’s rubber supply. The campaign was started on orders of President Roosevelt and its outcome may depend on the question of whether a nationwide system of gasoline rationing will be instituted to save tires. Fillings stations were authorized to pay a penny a pound for the scrap but most people contributed it without charge. P.O. Stokes, of the Okefenokee Station, is directing the collection locally. The scrap rubber collected here will be turned over to the Gibson Oil Co. in Waycross and they will forward it to the proper government agency.

NEW WARDEN TAKES OVER CHARLTON ROAD CAMP. Mr. L.B. Herring, who comes here from Cartersville, took over the duties as warden of the State Road Camp Friday, succeeding Warden George Tucker who recently tendered his resignation. They will occupy the Wright residence opposite the post office.

DIVORCES TO INCREASE AFTER THE WAR. An Atlanta divorce lawyer predicts a post-war boom in divorces. Here’s how he figures it. “Take all these czars the government is setting up. When the war is over they will have to go back to normal, hustling for an existence in a work-a-day world, and they’ll never get adjusted. Today their word is law. After the war it won’t be worth any more than yours or mine. What will they do? Why, they’re going to take it out on their wife and kids. The wife of a war-time czar has no idea how much of a potential sufferer she is. It will be tough on the poor kids. But the divorce business will be looking up!”

JOHNSONS MOVE TO BOULOGNE. Harry Johnson and family this week moved into their modern new home located just across the St. Marys River a short distance east of the highway.

EDITOR’S COMMENT. If the tire and gas situation does not improve by next summer, the children will once again be running to the front door to watch an automobile go by. ˝Pickens County Progress.

MISS SOUTHWELL A STUDENT IN JACKSONVILLE. Miss Rosalie Southwell left Monday for Jacksonville where she will attend the Jones Business College. She is taking a Business Course which will be completed in about a year.

KNOWLES MOVES TO BRUNSWICK. Levi Knowles of Camp Pinckney has gone to Brunswick to work in the shipyards.

ALDRIDGE-PONSELL WEDDING. Mr. and Mrs. E.C. Aldridge announce the marriage of their daughter, Eugenia, to Mr. Raymond Ponsell of Doctortown, Ga. The wedding was solemnized May 26th at Waycross.

NURSE DOBBS IS SICK. Miss Maggie Dobbs, head nurse and chief factotum in general, was a patient in her own institution this week suffering from a slight indisposition. She is spending a few days out at the home of her sister, Mrs. B.B. Gowen, recuperating and her friends are hoping she will soon be back on the job, directing activities at the hospital. Mrs. Jesse Crews is pinch-hitting for her. During the absence of Miss Dobbs, Mrs. D.L. Hebard is assisting in keeping things running smoothly at the hospital and aiding the nurses in their work.

BRIDGE GUARD IN LOCAL HOSPITAL. J.R. Thrift, member of the outpost guard detail at the St. Marys River bridge, was admitted as a patient to the McCoy-Sawyer Hospital Wednesday. He was some better at last reports.

June 26, 1942

PVT. RAY GIBSON ASSIGNED TO N.C. The Herald this week received a letter from Pvt. Ray Gibson who has been stationed at Scottsville, Ill. taking a training course in aviation radio work. He has graduated and has been assigned to Marris Field, N.C. for more training.

C.H. QUICK RECEIVES AWARD FROM HERCULES. Congratulations to Charles H. Quick, General Supt. of Field Operations at the Folkston camp of the Hercules Powder Co. He has just been awarded a certificate of appreciation from his corporation for his 20 years work. He began his career with Hercules at Hattiesburg, Miss. shortly after his return from France where he served in the World War No. 1.

CONTRACT AWARDED FOR HOUSING AT WAYCROSS AIRPORT. A contract for the development of the Waycross Airport as an auxiliary field for the Army Air Corps was awarded Sunday. The contract covers construction of housing for white aviation troops and a small detachment of Negro service troops. Construction of the airport has been underway since the first of the year.

NEW BABY BOY FOR JOHNSON FAMILY. Born to Mrs. R.L. Johnson, of St. George, at McCoy-Sawyer Hospital, a baby boy, born June 19th. They have returned to their home and are getting along nicely.

NEW BABY GIRL FOR McINTOSH FAMILY. Born June 9th at McCoy-Sawyer Hospital, to Mrs. Kenneth McIntosh, a baby girl. Both are getting along nicely.

NEW BABY BOY FOR CREWS FAMILY. A baby boy was born June 24th to Mrs. Ellis Crews of St. George. Both are getting along fine.

TWO FOLKSTON MEN ARE MISSING IN ACTION. Two Folkston residents, Wallace Gibson, son of W.E. Gibson, and W.L. Harrison, a brother of R. Ward Harrison, have been reported by the War Department to be missing in action and the fate of both up to this time, remains in doubt. Mr. Gibson’s son was last reported at Corregidor about February 20th. He was said to be aboard a naval vessel which was sunk in Manila Bay. He was saved and landed on Corrigidor Island. Since that time no reports have been received from him and he is presumed to have been either captured by the Japanese or killed in action. The Navy Department said there was a possibility that young Gibson escaped from Corregidor on one of the small boats known to have eluded the Japanese and has landed on one of the remote islands of the south Pacific. W.L. Harrison is reported to have been aboard a government supply ship of which he was an oiler which was sunk in the Caribbean Sea off the island of Trinidad on May 27th. On May 26th he wrote a letter to his sister in West Palm Beach that he was leaving the next day for the states on what was to have been his last trip on that particular ship. His mother at Waycross received a telegram from the War Department stating her son was missing in action. Since that time nothing has been heard from him except the War Department’s telegram stating his ship had been sunk.

JOHN S. GIBSON TO RUN FOR RE-ELECTION. Representative John S. Gibson will be a candidate for re-election as Congressman of the Eighth District. A group of his friends paid the $500.00 entrance fee in Valdosta Wednesday. He will open his campaign at the Lowndes County courthouse on July 4th.

FOUR CHARLTON MEN ENLIST IN NAVY. A group of three Charlton County boys, including Baynard Gowen, son of Mr. and Mrs. G.R. Gowen, Sr. and Horace and Fred Crews, sons of Tax Receiver H.H. Crews have enlisted in the U.S. Navy through the Jacksonville recruiting station. Another Charlton County boy, Elvin Crews, son of H.M. Crews, of Uptonville, has enlisted in the Navy and expects to leave next week to join the others in Norfolk.

CHARLTON BOY SCOUTS AT CAMP. A group of Boy Scouts from Folkston and St. George left Sunday for Laura Walker Park where they are attending the annual camp for the Okefenokee Council Area. The Charlton County boys, headed by Scoutmaster John A. Barker of St. George, were taken to the camp site by George White in his pick-up truck. Scoutmaster Barker will remain there to direct activities of the local group while in camp. Included in the group, all housed in the same cabin, are scouts James and Johnnie Barker, George White, Lamar Gibson, Tom Scott, Carroll Wright, Jr., Bob Adkins, Johnnie Tyson, Morris Powell, Jr. and Kenneth Harrison.

NEWTON RODDENBERRY BADLY HURT IN RIVER ACCIDENT. Newton Roddenberry, 17 year old son of Mrs. Susie Roddenberry and the late Mr. Gad Roddenberry, sustained a painful injury Sunday when he struck a hidden snag while diving in the St. Marys River near Traders Hill. Franklin Roddenberry, a cousin, who happened to be at the scene, quickly went to his rescue. He broke the lock on a boat belonging to J.V. Gowen and rowed across, bringing the badly hurt victim to the Georgia side where he was rushed to the office of Dr. Schneider at Homeland. The snag had entered the upper part of the stomach and penetrated the liver. He was sent to a Waycross hospital. According to last reports the young man’s condition was still regarded as critical.

COOKING FAT TO BE COLLECTED. Insiders say there will be a new campaign added to the drives for scrap metal, rubber, rags and paper. This will be a campaign to replace the loss of fats and oils from the far east. Japan has grabbed 9/10 of the world’s supply of rubber and essential oils that come from those same conquered lands. Now WPB hopes to make up for the shortage by collecting half a billion pounds of cooking fat now thrown out of our kitchens, with neighborhood stores serving as centers for collection. A WPB order also encourages the manufacture of wooden pails and tubs to save metal. Chalices and other religious articles can’t be made of brass any more. The chaplain s in the Army are using gold plated iron chalices.

HELP NEEDED IN FUNDING NEWSPAPERS TO SERVICEMEN. A Kiwanis Club in Georgia is raising sufficient funds to send the paper published in its home town or county to every white or colored man in the service from that county. The Herald has been performing this service for the Charlton County boys without help from any source. The list is now growing so lengthy, it is proving a burden that we are really unable to bear alone. The aid of anyone who would like to help in this worthwhile service would be appreciated, both by the paper and the boys receiving the paper.

SINGING SCHOOL TO BEGIN NEXT WEEK. The Camp Pinckney community is looking forward to the Singing School which is to begin Tuesday at the Baptist Church, conducted by Herbert Huling.

CRAWFORD BANKS IS IN U.S. COAST GUARD. Yeoman lst Class Crawford Banks of the U.S. Coast Guard Service, who is stationed at Norfolk, spent several days this week with his parents, Dr. and Mrs. W.E. Banks.

MRS. STAPLETON NAMED PRODUCTION CHAIRMEN OF RED CROSS. Mrs. E.B. Stapleton has been named as Production Chairman of the local Red Cross to succeed Mrs. C.E. Roy. All those who desire to help make these garments, please get in touch with Mrs. Stapleton.

Charlton  County Archives