Digest of Charlton County Herald - May 1929

Compiled by Lois Barefoot Mays

May 3, 1929

SELL YOUR CHICKENS. Don't forget the poultry train next Tuesday. It will be in Folkston till 12:00 o'clock, then it will move on to another loading point. Poultry will have to be weighed up and in the train when leaving time arrives. Sell the old fat hens and raise more for another sale. A.B. Hursey, County Agent.

TWO MURDERERS LEAVE FOR PRISON. On Friday of last week J.B. Brown, convicted of wife murder and Homer Hickox, who pled guilty of killing Manning Hickox, left with prison guards for the State Farm at Milledgeville to begin their lifetime sentence.

FOLKSTON SCHOOL TO CLOSE. The Folkston Consolidated School will close Wednesday without pomp or ceremony. The term, despite its enforced vacations of the storm and flu, has been a good one. The High School has until May 30th to make their grade. The Jr. High at St. George has two more weeks, while other units have already closed.

BURNT FORT BRIDGE IS OPEN. The Burnt Fort toll bridge is now open and this short route to Brunswick is traveled more now than was expected to be. Mr. A.J. Howard is toll keeper and he is optimistic of it developing into a paying proposition. Open for a week, 40 cars passed over, 10 pedestrians and three horseback riders. It must have ten cars a day to make it pay a dividend.

OLD BURIAL CUSTOM. Coming back from fishing at Burnt Fort, the Wrench family stopped for a look at the graves in the old Lowther cemetery where their forebears passed on during the 1840s, indicated by inscriptions on marble slabs covering brick vaults. Bill Smith said in those days, they built up a brick vault, laid the corpse in without a coffin, and encased them in with a marble top.

MINGO STEWART IS FLYING ALONE. Mr. Mingo Stewart spent Sunday in Jacksonville. He has reached the stage in aviation where he is flying in the airplanes alone.

May 10, 1929

RABBIT RAISING. Dr. J.W. Buchanan has become interested in the production of New Zealand rabbits. The doctor has a few hutches of several breeds and feels that the establishment of a commercial hatchery here would be a paying proposition.

STOKES HOME BURNED. The home of Mr. L.E. Stokes south of St. George was completely destroyed by fire some time Sunday. The fire caught from a defective flue and some furniture was saved. It is not known here whether Mrs. Stokes and the children were at home at the time or not. Later we learned that practically all of the household furniture was saved, but the kitchen furniture was lost. The family was attending church and Mr. Festus Stokes and some neighbors saved it. No insurance. Loss: $1500.00.

POULTRY TRAIN MADE MONEY. Our first poultry train was a great success. We hope to arrange for another the first part of June. We loaded 5,039 pounds for which $1,592.81 was paid.

REV. ALEX HODGE DIED. The death of Rev. Alex Hodge, a Primitive Baptist preacher living near Hilliard, occurred Tuesday and interment was on Wednesday at Bethel cemetery. He had preached at Bethel Church Sunday and shortly after complained of pains in his side. He was taken home and died on Tuesday.

REV. POINDEXTER AND MRS. TOY HONORED. There is much happiness in the home of Rev. J.D. Poindexter, who was the recipient last week of a good pounding given by the ladies of the church. Dr. McCoy lured the preacher away from home while the clan gathered and hid themselves. Returning home for a telephone call from Mr. and Mrs. John Tyson who were calling, he ran into a regular army of helpers, each armed with something to satisfy even a preacher, plenty of good edibles. After the shock was over and he recovered speech, the good folks turned their attention to Mrs. Rosa Toy a member of the missionary society, who was that day 81 years young. She was presented a beautiful box of stationery as a gift from the missionary society. She responded in happy mien stating that her goal was 100 years and all wished that she might attain it.

BIG FISH. Speaking of catching fish, they tell that J.V. Gowen hooked 90 pounds of trout on his last trip to the Okefenokee, and he said the biggest one would weigh 15 pounds. After the boys weighed it and found it only tipped the scales at nine pounds, J.V. said he was done trading at these Folkston stores. They gave too much for the money.

AVIATION FIELD. The cottage at the Aviation Field is ready for the light keeper. Cables laid at the Aviation Field failed to function this week when tested for connection with the range lights and another cable may have to be laid.

ANOTHER NEW HOME FOR FOLKSTON. The Sam Mills cottage near the Bottling Works is ready for occupancy.

PENSION CHECK COMES. Walter Huling received his back pension check of over $2,000.00 and is feeling a right smart perter already. He is a deserving fellow.

MRS. LUCY HICKOX DIED. Mrs. Lucy Hickox, age 87, mother of I.T. Hickox of Folkston, died on the 7th at her daughter's home just over the Ware County line and was buried at the High Bluff Cemetery Wednesday. Rev. Jos. Thomas of Blackshear preached the funeral sermon with Rev. W.O. Gibson and I.T. Hickox assisting.

MISS DONNIE HUGH BEATY IS BORN. Mr. and Mrs. B. Beaty of Winokur are the smiling parents of a baby girl born April 30. Her name is Donnie Hugh.

ANOTHER RADIO FOR TOLEDO. Mr. and Mrs. J.K. Hopkins have recently installed an Atwater-Kent Radio in their home at Toledo to take the place of the radiola they had.

May 17, 1929

With the exception of the Sheriff, all of the county officials have moved into their new official quarters. Ordinary Gibson started the ball rolling, first one in, and has the northwest room. In the opposite room, northeast corner, Mrs. Lizzie Roddenberry, our Tax Collector, greets you with a smile. Tax Receiver H.H. Crews also has a desk room in this suite. The middle room on the north, our Clerk, Happy Smith, holds the keystone room and with a well lighted roomy vault space, is equippted to turn out business entrusted to his care. The next room south is for Supt. Harris and across from him is County Agent Hursey. Entering from the south door, on the west Sheriff Mizell has his new quarters. He may not move until the new jail is complete, so as to make one good straightening-out do the job. The Commissioners room is the other large room in the southeast corner. It may be said to be the only proper quarters they ever had to conduct the business of the county in. Clerk Owen Wilson has no reason to do any more frowning. Solicitor McQueen will occupy the Solicitor's room upstairs. As soon as our officials get over their embarassment of putting their feet on new desks, we shall expect business to be conducted better than ever before. Meanwhile Folkston is trying to regulate its habits with the courthouse clock.

CHARLTON HIGH SCHOOL CLOSES ON MAY 31. The graduating class this year is the largest in the history of the institution and consists of the following: Julia Catherine Mills, Edith Maxine Snowden, Pauline Catoe, Martha Aleene Wainwright, Bessie Lee Davis, Thyra Topist McDuffie, Lettie Stokes, Gussie Carter, Beatrice Annette Johnson, Susan Enyedy, Mable Elizabeth Smith, Hazel Player, Maggie Mason Stokes, Loyselle Smith, Lillian Maye Norman, Doris Pearle Wilson, Ethel Irene Rang, Wilton Curtis Stokes, Kline Eugene Gowen, William Lewis Londeree and Woodrow Wilson Pickren.

Fire was discovered in an unused room of the St. George school house Thursday morning. It was found before it gained any headway. So far as was known the room had not been entered for several days. Mr. Vinson expressed the opinion that possibly rats and a stray match may have been the cause. The fire started in a pile of jute bags.

The St. George High School closed suddenly last Friday, due to ill health of the teacher, Loy S. Vinson. It is understood that the year's work had been well covered and the students were expected to be in shape for the final tests which will be given at a later date by Mr. Harris.

The Folkston Women's Club elected the following officers for the new year: President, Mrs. William Mizell, Jr.; Vice President, Mrs. W.B. Smith; Secretary, Mrs. A.D. Williams; Treasurer, Mrs. E.B. Stapleton; Librarian, Mrs. H.C. Page; Parlimentarian, Mrs. Rosa M. Toy.

Long John Register, an expert distiller of turpentine at Council, was killed by a stroke of lightning on Thursday. It required a seven foot casket to enfold his remains. This makes the second death from lightning at that place in the past few days.

The telephone installed at the depot is an appreciated improvement in accomodating the public. Now let Western Union connect up.

According to law the births and deaths registration, and vital statistics must be in the hands of the Justice of the Peace. Dr. W.E. Banks has been appointed to this position. On May 10th, Mrs. Rosa M. Toy relinquished this office and asked that all the residents of the 32nd District be loyal to Dr. Banks. Human life is sacred. When a human being passes out from our life it is very important that an immediate record be made of all details of the event, because it is well established that an accurate record of all cases will not be made unless the law requires it to be made at once. The facts registered may be of the greatest legal and social importance, Mrs. Toy says. 

Porter Banner, col., was hit on the head with a pistol in a Racepond rucus Sunday week. Dr. Williams sewed it. Jessie Rutcliff (col.), fell through the roof of his home a few days ago laming the arm badly. Dr. Williams sewed the arm back normal.

Word was received in St. George Monday morning of the death of Mrs. Jane Moore at the home of Mr. Upchurch Connors on the Florida side some time Sunday night. No particulars could be learned, nor could the report really be confirmed.

May 24, 1929

GRADUATION THIS FRIDAY NIGHT. There are 21 graduates of Charlton County High School this year, the largest in the history of the school. Graduation exercises take place Friday night.

THREE CAUGHT STEALING ROSIN. Sheriff Mizell came back from Jacksonville with a trio charged with stealing rosin from the roadside near Toledo from the Toledo Manufacturing Co.

MORE WORK AT AVIATION FIELD. After putting down the cable at the Aviation Field the past week a test proved it faulty so up it came as it was guaranteed good. The wire was touched and the rolls came in by express Monday, therefore the work of getting the Aviation Field in proper shape for lighting is underway again. Bids have been received for the work of completing the ground for sodding. Airplanes fly directly over the field, it being on the daily route, and quite frequently circle around it, no doubt getting a perspective of the field and its condition to light on it.

MR. LEROY QUINCY NOBLES DIED. This community was shocked Saturday to hear of the sudden death of Mr. L. Q. Nobles. Mr. Nobles had been visiting his mother and relatives in Vienna and it is understood was on his way home and had stopped at Fitzgerald to visit his niece. Saturday morning when they went to call him to take a train for home it was found that he had gone on the long journey to his heavenly home. Members of his family here left at once by motor in company with his son L.S. Nobles who drove up from Jacksonville. Interment was at the family burial ground at Vienna. He had been in ill health for some months under the care of a physician but his friends felt he was making steady progress. His sudden death came as a shock to friends and family. It breaks closely-knit ties of friendship of many years standing, for Mr. Nobles and family had lived in St. George for about fifteen years. Leroy Quincy Nobles was 62 years of age, having been born on March
27, 1867 at Vienna, Dooly County, Ga. where he passed his young manhood and it is understood, most of his life till he came to St. George to live. He was a member of the Baptist Church. He leaves a wife, Eva Catherine; his aged mother, Margaret E. Nobles, Amanda Nobles and Mrs. Charles Bussey.

BURNT FORT BRIDGE. Nine days toll on the Burnt Fort bridge amounted to $45.00.

AD. Nursing: Mrs. W.W. Yarber, having qualified as a state certified nurse, will answer calls for midwifing or illness. Charges are reasonable.

May 30, 1929

GRADUATION EXERCISES. Graduating exercises of the Charlton County High School will be held Friday. Members of the class are: Loyselle Smith, Ethel Rang, Doris Wilson, Edith Snowden, Lillian Norman, Julia Mills, Mable Smith, Pauline Catoe, Gussie Carter, Thyra McDuffie, Hazel Player, Bessie Lee Davis, Beatrice Johnson, Susan Enedy, Aleene Wainwright, Lettie Stokes, Maggie Stokes, Lewis Londeree, Wilton Stokes, Kline Gowen and Woodrow Pickren.

BANK WILL CLOSE ON DAVIS' BIRTHDAY. June 3rd, Jefferson Davis' birthday, is a legal holiday for Georgia and will be observed by banks. The Citizens Bank is closing.

NEW GARAGE BY THE CAMPGROUND. The red pressed-brick garage now being constructed in Homeland for J.P. Garrison is different from the run of garages now being built on the highways. It is fronting the highway near the Homeland Garage and the campground. It is nicely set off with this grove of pines, which will continue to be used by the traveling public as such.

GASOLINE THIEF GETS AWAY. Early Wednesday morning when Editor Wrench went to investigate a noise in the barn he ran full tilt into a gasoline pilferer with a five gallon can full. He grabbed his prey but in the tussle the thief broke loose and fled before help came. The can and a four foot hose which was used to siphon the gas out was left.

EXPERIMENTS BEING MADE WITH FAT WOOD. Chauncey Crawford, Frank Pruden and George Walzer who came to St. George some weeks ago are making some interesting experiments in extracting charcoal, pine oil and tar from fat wood. They have had a pit in operation the past week but it was not learned what results they have obtained.

WORK ON ST. GEORGE DEPOT. Extensive repairs are being made on the G.S & F. depot at St. George. New concrete piers and new platforms are being built.

LITTLE MAUDIE LEE BORN. The new arrival at the home of Mr. Everett Lee in Winokur is a baby girl, born May 10th. They call her Maudie.

MR. FRED HOWARD DIED. Mr. A.J. Howard went to Blackshear Wednesday to attend the funeral of Mr. Howard's brother, Fred Howard, who died in Miami suddenly the day before. The funeral and burial was at Shiloh Church. Mr. Howard formerly lived in Charlton.

Charlton  County Archives