Digest of Waycross Herald - April 1932

Compiled by Lois Barefoot Mays

April 1, 1932

MR. LECKIE INJURED. W.C. Leckie, who lives at St. George and works at Moniac, was injured Monday at work. It is understood a skidding log was the cause. He has a broken thigh and was taken to the hospital in Jacksonville on the early morning train Tuesday.

WEDDING. Ellis Crews of St. George and Miss Lelia Harris of Winokur were married March 26 by Judge H.G. Gibson, at the courthouse. The happy couple will make their home near Toledo.

WEDDING. Ben Nelson and Mrs. Mary Barnhill were united in marriage Friday at the courthouse, Judge H.G. Gibson officiating. The happy couple will make their home on the farm of Mr. Nettles where Mr. Nelson has been farming for the past two years.

WEDDING. B.W. (Bill) Knox and Miss Mary Crews, Hoboken, were married March 26 by Judge H.G. Gibson. Everybody in Folkston knows Bill and wishes the newly-wedded pair much happiness. Miss Crews is the daughter of Bryant Crews and has been living near the Johnson place, keeping house for her brother. They will occupy the Buchanan property near Dixie Lake.

REPUBLICANS MEET. C.W. Waughtel and BeFay Mills attended the state Republican Convention in Atlanta Saturday as delegate and alternate from the 8th District.

BILL BURNEY DIED. A report comes to us as we close our forms that Bill Burney, age about 60 years, was found dead in the Racepond school house, presumably having died of cancer of the throat. He has been a resident of Charlton County for many years and has been living alone lately.

NEW BABY. Born, a fine eleven pound boy to Mr. and Mrs. Jake Petty at Silco on March 21. It has been christened William Dean. Mrs. Petty will be remembered as Miss Minnie Byrd.

NEW BABY. Mr. and Mrs. Milledge Canaday are the proud parents of a bouncing baby boy born on March 23. Mrs. Canaday will be remembered as Miss Stella Batten.

April 8, 1932

AVIATION FIELD. A local crew, and others connected with the U.S. Dept. of Commerce were painting and placing daylight flag stops on the local aviation field last weekend. The flags are painted a brilliant yellow, making them, easily observable from the air and they mark the danger points and landing stops on the field. The crew also repainted the towers with this same yellow-hued paint. The Folkston field still holds the honor of being the best of its class in this territory.

FIRE BURNS NEW TREES AT PARK. The past weekend someone set fire to the woods near the Hursey Camp but fortunately Officers Sikes and Gowen arrived in time to whip out one fire. Fire came from several directions and burned some two thousand young pines set out the past season which were beginning to grow. The fire-burners also tore down the posted signs which makes them guilty of another offense.

WEDDING. Sunday night Judge H.G. Gibson had a caller needing his services. A.D. Mizell, stepson of Henry O'Berry, came up from Jacksonville bringing with him Miss Wilhelmina Green and they were seeking to get a knot tied in Georgia style. It was, and the happy couple left for Florida to make their future home.

BILLYS ISLAND. Sheriff W.H. Mizell, with Ed Mizell, motored over to Billys Island and made an inland trip to the old mill site, where the sheriff went to dispossess some of the Lee family.

FLOYDS ISLAND BURNED. News of the fire on Floyd's Island reached Folkston yesterday. The fire has been spreading for three days. The dry weather and the heavy mast in the swamp is making it a fierce blaze. The heavy smoke and fall of burned leaves indicates the fire is severe. Uncle Billy Spaulding is the only resident of the island.

MRS. M.J. PRESCOTT DIED. Wednesday Mrs. M.J. Prescott was taken to the hospital in Waycross for an operation. It was decided not to operate as her kidneys were badly infected. She died Thursday afternoon and will be buried at Corinth. She was the daughter of Britton Crews and was married in January.

EDITORIAL COMMENT. Time has changed the wheel of progress judging from the public sales one witnesses. Depression is spelled with a big D and progress with a little p. The hangar, restaurant building and about five acres of land at the aviation field were knocked down to the first bidder at $500.00. When one considers the fact that the material and construction cost over $3,000.00, not including the land, it makes an impression all its own.

WEDDING. Mr. and Mrs. Verne Pickren announce the arrival of a fine boy on March 31.

"ROUTE FORTY". "Route Forty" is the designation of the new highway connecting Folkston with the coastal highway in Kingsland. Signs have been placed on it showing it to be a highway of the State System.

NEW BABY. Charlie Altman was in this week putting in some vent holes in the John S. Tyson, Jr. store building. He seemed in such good humor that we had to quiz him and discovered that a new boy had come to make his house his home on March 31. This makes the fifth boy, to match the five girls blessing their home. However one of the boys has passed on, having died several years ago as a small child.

NEW BABY. Mr. and Mrs. Fred Jacobs are the proud parents of a baby girl, born March 31.

ED MIZELL IS FARMING. Ed Mizell has begun a move to stop the depression. He moved to the Roddenberry cottage near the sawmill and began the cultivation of a tract of land nearby, with six acres partly planted.

April 15, 1932

CORINTH CHURCH MEETING. The usual large number attended the annual meeting at Corinth Church. Not less than 300 or 400 automobiles were there, bringing former members and their friends from as far as Savannah and Jacksonville. The number present were approximately 1,000 people. Services were held practically all day except the noon period when a bountiful supply of wholesome food was served.

WEDDING. Married at the home of Judge Gibson Tuesday night, Lonnie Mizell, son of Dave Mizell and Miss Aggie Brown, both of the Traders Hill section. The couple was made happy by the knot-tying of Judge Gibson and left for their home near the Hill where they will start a new life.

NEW BOOGEY SCHEDULE. The Boogey that connects Jesup and Folkston on a daily schedule, will change its time-table this weekend. It will arrive here at 11:00 o'clock.

HOMES AND TIMBER LOST TO GREAT FIRE. The greatest loss that Charlton County has suffered from forest fires culminated this week from burning swamp woods. This fire has been fought for the past week and it was thought that the weekend fight had been won and the fire finally put out. Monday it caught up again and the winds brought the flames sweeping towards Traders Hill, burning the house occupied by Bloomer Bryant on the old Earny Grooms place. All of the out buildings including the large barn, tobacco houses and storage house at the E.F. Dean's; swept the old Ben Altman house away; and then on by the hill burning Alex Bryant's home and the out buildings of Henry Bryant. The house goods of Bloomer Bryant as well as Alex Bryant were destroyed. J.V. Gowen and W.C. Hopkins forces have been fighting these fires for the past week, it being an almost constant menace for fires to break out. The report is that some thirty crops of boxes have been destroyed, the Toledo Manufacturing Co. and Georgia-Florida Investment Co. suffering most. The damage to the turpentine industry is the heaviest that we have had in Charlton County in years. It is told that Mr. Flewell was returning home with a mule team and seeing that he could not keep ahead of the fire, he unhitched his mules and ran them out of the woods ahead of the fire. The onrushing flames merely scorched the wagon. On the public road near the Dean place, a bridge was burned away. Those who are aiding the fight of the fire report that flames sprung up a half mile ahead of the fire, the wind carrying embers that distance, flames leaping from treetop to treetop, with twigs and moss carrying live embers spreading the fire. The heavy drift of leaves and dead wood which has not been burned for several years provided fuel for this, the fiercest forest fire in Charlton's history. It is hard to estimate the damage but it will range around $50,000.00 to $60,000.00. Fire originated from three sources, Honey Island, Bee Gum Creek and the section west of Racepond beyond the Carters' and Mrs. Lydia Stone's places.

DOUGLAS MILLS INJURED. As is his custom, Douglas Mills left home on horseback on his pony Monday afternoon to round up the cattle and while driving them through the woods his pony stepped in a hole and fell, throwing Douglas and supposedly falling on him. When Douglas did not return home at night a search was begun for him and he was found lying unconscious, by one of the men on the place. His father, Edgar Mills, traced the course of the lad through the woods and found that he had fallen a dozen times trying to reach home. The accident happened three miles from home. He broke his arm below the elbow and the pain was such that he could not fix the saddle, which had turned on the pony. So the lad hitched the pony to a tree and tried to walk home. As three hours had elapsed from the time the accident occurred till he was found, his arm had swelled up to such an extent that he was taken to the hospital in Jacksonville. The little fellow suffered so, and has not yet recovered sufficiently so as to give details as to how he came to be hurt.

FRED STOKES ARRESTED AGAIN. Fred Stokes, under sentence of life imprisonment for the killing of Dick Burgin of Folkston and who escaped from the Florida State Farm last year, killing his wife and Edward Barnett, has been arrested in Birmingham, Ala.

PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. At a meeting of the Ladies' Auxiliary of the Folkston Presbyterian Church a few days ago the following officers were elected: President, Mrs. W.B. Smith; Vice President, Mrs. T.M. Sullivan; Secretary, Mrs. T.A. Scott; Treasurer, Mrs. George J. Stewart.

WILLIAM LORAIN BURNEY DIED. Died at the home of his daughter in Claxton, William Lorain Burney. He had been living in Schlattersville until recently. He was taken to Savannah and his trouble was diagnosed as cancer. He is survived by his wife, four children and fifteen grandchildren. He was brought to Racepond for interment. He was a member of the Holiness Church.

FRANCIS HARPER TO SPEAK. Francis Harper, a well-known naturalist of Strathmore, Penn. and who for many years has made a first hand study of the fauna and flora of the Okefenokee, will speak at the high school auditorium this Friday. Those who have heard Mr. Harper's talks on previous occasions will be interested in hearing of new discoveries he has made.

TELEPHONE EXCHANGE. The Parker telephone exchange has completed the extension of their line to Hilliard and are now able to handle business between Folkston and Hilliard direct without awaiting long distance connection.

FIRE AT THE WELL. It is reported that the curbing in the well at the Emory Dean place caught fire and burned completely out. Evidently it is a hot fire that burns to the water's edge of a well.

PROFITABLE HENS. Arnold Scott purchased 70 hens from one man the first of the week and then sat down and watched them lay. The first day's eggs paid for the feed, so he does not fear them eating their heads off.

WORST FIRE IN CHARLTON'S HISTORY. W.C. Hopkins and Noah Stokes were here Wednesday. Mr. Stokes said he had been on the go fighting fire for over a week. "It is the worst fire in the history of Charlton County. We have lost 165,000 boxes, some of it totally destroyed. Fourteen hands were left at the still because their jobs had burned up."

CITIZENS BANK. Statement of condition of the Citizens Bank at close of business on March 31, 1932: Date of bank's charter: December 11, 1911. Resources: $385,693.86.

April 22, 1932

CHESSER LOST FARM. A transfer of the farm property of R.E. Chesser was made Saturday to J.O. Hallman at Nahunta. We were sorry to learn that Mr. Chesser lost out by a series of hard luck conditions, dry weather, poor tobacco crop with low prices and in the windup he lost all he had made in the Florida boom days. We wish him well. Mr. Hallman has the farm rented to Jack Bennett.

DR. HARPER TELLS OF SWAMP. A rather small but well pleased audience was at the high school auditorium Friday evening to listen to an informal talk on some of the natural features of the Okefenokee, illustrated by very interesting moving pictures submitted by Dr. Francis Harper whose home is in Strathmore, Penn. but who has for the past twenty years spent a few weeks each year in the marsh learning of wild bird, animal and plant life. The doctor's enthusiasm over toads, lizards, tumblebugs and similar small animals was infectious. The movies showed pictures of his friends in daily life in the Okefenokee ranging from plowing the fields to open-air dancing of the young people. Several pet deer at Hamp Mizell's home responded promptly when Mr. or Mrs. Mizell called them. Dr. and Mrs. Harper spent several weeks with the Mizells in the Okefenokee, and left for their Pennsylvania home Sunday.

DOUGLAS MILLS IS HOME. Douglas Mills was brought back from the hospital the first of the week, the wounded limb being in splints and mending nicely.

HAT-STRETCHER NEEDED. A hat-stretcher, borrowed from the W.E. Gibson store by some customer, could be used if the same was returned, as new hats are now going out fast and it is needed.

FIND YOUR MATE AT DIXIE RESTAURANT. It is a note of interest that during the past five years seven young women employed at the Dixie Restaurant have married. At least three of them first met their future mates at the restaurant counter.

WEDDING. Quite a surprise wedding occurred Saturday night when George D. Peagler of Homerville, now resident manager of his father's naval store business in Folkston and Miss Grace Bell were joined together in the bonds of holy matrimony. The ceremony took place at the home of Judge H.G. Gibson. To the surprise of the couple the marriage was witnessed by some of their friends who happened to catch on to what was happening. They are making their home at the home of O.E. Raynor.

BARNEY GOWEN VERY SICK. The condition of Barney Gowen is considered serious, the announcement being made that he has a cancer of the bladder. His legion of friends will learn with deep regret that hopes of his recovery have been given up and that life is only a matter of a short while.

AIRPLANE AT ST. GEORGE. An airplane stopped off in St. George last Sunday. Some of the boys are reported to have gone for a spin. Later the plane went up to Fargo where the pilot left it on account of the smoke.

April 29, 1932

FOREST FIRES ROARING AGAIN. Again the cry for aid to conquer forest fires was sent in Monday. The Paxton Place in the section known as "the pasture" discovered fire burning fiercely sending up volumes of black smoke. Brakes were hastily thrown up by back-firing from crossroads and the report came in that the fire was headed off after six or seven hours of hard fighting in which a hundred or more men responded. The woods were burned close to the farm of J.W. Dinkins, consuming some fifty or sixty rods of rail fence besides going through some wire fencing and damaging it. It is reported the fire was probably set by a turpentine hand accidentally as it is thought scarcely possible that anyone would want to set out fire on the lands of a man whose brother was at that moment lying dead and whose funeral he was attending, and so close by that it was necessary for some of those who had gathered to pay their last respects, to leave to protect their homes. Reports also came in that the Hopkins woods near Toledo were again set on fire and trouble was experienced in controlling it.

MAY BLUFF TRACT SOLD. E.B. Stapleton, local druggist, closed a trade Monday with Col. A.S. McQueen, representing the estate of the late Jos. P. Mizell for some 6,000 acres of land lying around May Bluff with a large frontage lying on the Satilla River, joining the Hebard property. This is one of the most beautiful properties in Charlton County with a fine flow of artesian water and a forest of young timber.

MR. FLEWELL DIED. Mr. Flewell, a tenant on Rev. E.F. Dean's place, died the past week, left a crop planted and in good shape with a good mule and about 20 head of hogs, which Mrs. Flewell wants to dispose of as she can not manage the place without help. Inquire of County Agent Hursey or Mrs. Flewell.

WEDDING. Hoke Smith of Winokur and Miss Maude Allen of Brantley County were married Saturday by Rev. J.D. Poindexter at the church. They will make their home near Winokur where Mr. Smith farms.

KNIGHTS OF PYTHIAS. The Knights of Pythias is to be re-established in Folkston we learn. A meeting is to be held this weekend. Several are carrying insurance in that order and the Lodge has some property and money in hand, so we learn.

MR. BARNEY B. GOWEN DIED. The death Sunday of Barney Bradford Gowen, son of the late A.G. Gowen, marks the passing of one of our native Charlton citizens who had lived most of his life in our midst. Born on the old Gowen homestead on October 20, 1876, Mr. Gowen was 56 years old. He had been a farmer and turpentine operator most of his life and reared a fine family composed of Mrs. F.D. Mills, Mrs. Jim Mizell, Kline Gowen, Miss Jessie Gowen, Glynn Gowen, Miss Alma Gowen and Francis Gowen, children of a former wife and Barney, Jr., Jane and Ferris; also a daughter by the present Mrs. Gowen, all of whom survive him. There is also a daughter Olive, by a former marriage who lives in New Jersey. Mr. Gowen has been a sufferer for some time but was unaware of his condition until he became a patient at the hospital in Jacksonville the past month. He was buried in Bethel cemetery after services in Bethel Chapel. Rev. H.C. Griffin officiated at the funeral. He is survived by the children above-named; Mrs. Gowen; his stepmother Mrs. L.P. Gowen; George Gowen, J.V. Gowen and Andy Gowen, brothers; Mrs. J.W. Vickery, Mrs. F.E. Brock, Mrs. W.N. Casey, Mrs. W.D. Copeland and Mrs. Harold Kirkpatrick, sisters.

MR. HERBERT E. FLEWELL DIED. The death of Herbert Everett Flewell occurred Sunday on the farm of Rev. E.F. Dean after an illness of several days, the cause being an infection from pyorrhea developing after extraction of teeth. Mr. Flewell has been a resident of this county for something over a year and was considered a hard worker who stuck to his own business. He was born in Ontario, Canada November 17, 1878 and was 54 years and 5 months old. He was buried at Sardis with Rev. H.C. Griffin officiating. Mrs. Flewell and four children, Donald, Mrs. Leone Daughty, Lawrence and Carl survive their father.

WILLIAM HARRISON JACOBS DIED. William Harrison Jacobs, son of Rev. H.G. Jacobs, died Sunday after an illness of two weeks from a throat trouble. William has been an invalid all his life and required attention constantly as he had to be fed by spoon and was unused to helping himself. Conditions were unfavorable to saving him from disease. He was buried at Sardis with Rev. J.D. Poindexter reading the burial service.

MANY FARMS SOLD FOR TAXES. One-fourth of the entire privately owned property in the state of Mississippi was on the auction block last week, including 39,699 farms. It affected 543 farms per county. Most of them were sold because of non-payment of county and state taxes.


Charlton  County Archives