Charlton County Region 1760 - 1784
from DeBRAHM’S REPORT OF THE GENERAL SURVEY IN THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF NORTH AMERICA
University of South Carolina Press, 1971
Georgia, while frequently preoccupied with the threat of attack during the period of the French and Indian War, was fortunate in averting any large-scale hostility. The colony’s leaders had succeeded in maintaining a peaceful relationship with the neighboring Indian tribes while South Carolina had suffered the ravages of the Cherokee War at the opening of the 1760s.
…..In 1763, with the signing of the “Definitive Treaty of Peace” in Paris, the Spanish surrendered their colony of Florida to the British. Georgia was thus freed of the Damoclean threat from the south which had influenced its development since its inception under Oglethorpe’s guidance thirty years before. A decision reached by the British Crown in the same year MADE SAINT MARY’S RIVER THE COLONY’S SOUTHERN BOUNDARY and formally permitted Georgians to extend their settlements to the region south of the Altamaha River. In 1784, a commission to the governor of Georgia further defined the colony’s bounds and made the Mississippi River the westernmost boundary.